Children among 200 ill after school meal

December 13th, 2010 - 2:23 pm ICT by IANS  

Kolkata, Dec 13 (IANS) Over 200 people, most of them children, are being treated for food poisoning after eating a meal served by a school in West Bengal’s North 24 Parganas district, an official said Monday.Darikjungle Banamali Vidyabhavan High School in Sandeshkhali-II block had served fried rice and gram after the annual sports meet Friday.

“Since Saturday most students, their guardians and even the headmaster are ill and have been admitted in a local hospital and a private health clinic. We are suspecting that they fell ill because of food poisoning,” Bashirhat’s sub-divisional medical officer of health Asit Pandey said.

“We came to know that the dry gram was soaked in water Wednesday, but as the annual sports meet was postponed from Thursday to Friday due to rain, the gram may have fermented,” he added.

Patients are displaying symptoms like vomiting, fever and stomach ache, he said.

“A medical team has been rushed to the area. We have taken all necessary measures for treating the sick people,” Pandey told IANS.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |