Childhood intervention could prevent crimeMay 1st, 2008 - 2:47 pm ICT by admin
Sydney, May 1 (IANS) If children who are likely to commit crime are identified early enough, preventive measures can improve their future prospects, according to a new book. Literacy, vocational training, living conditions and mentoring of children susceptible to committing to crime are key areas that need attention.
“We found that more than 60 percent of those we surveyed while researching the book had parents or other relatives who had spent time in prison,” said Diana Kenny, co-author of “Young Offenders on Community Orders”.
“They also had lower education levels and higher than average exposure to risky lifestyle behaviours, including drug and alcohol abuse and unprotected sex,” she said.
The book details the family background, physical and mental health, educational difficulties and alcohol and drug use of 800 young offenders. Interestingly, despite their disadvantaged backgrounds and bleak prospects, more than half had a positive outlook on life.
Kenny’s research presents a challenge to policy makers to focus on support for families with a history of crime.
“Prevention and support, rather than punishment, may help our young people break the cycle of offending,” she said.
- Disadvantaged teens prone to adult crime, substance abuse problems - Aug 17, 2010
- Witness to violence makes women prone to risky sex: Study - May 11, 2012
- Anxiety, depression accounts for risky driving - May 18, 2011
- Scholastic success can keep kids away from drugs - Apr 04, 2011
- Drug education 'curbs risky sexual behaviour in teens' - Apr 30, 2009
- Drug prevention programmes help teens curb risky sex - Apr 30, 2009
- Poor literacy major problem for Indian youths, says report - Apr 19, 2012
- How to improve education? Bihar asks students (Feature) - Jul 26, 2011
- Well-off children also becoming solvent addicts: NGO - Nov 14, 2011
- 8 million children still out of school in RTE Act's first year (April 1 is the first anniversary of implementation of RTE Act) - Apr 01, 2011
- New study negates stereotype image of adolescent sex offenders - Jul 25, 2010
- Films, TV shows influencing child crimes? - Feb 11, 2012
- Tendulkar's ton becomes high point of a literacy initiative - Mar 12, 2011
- Homeless kids' use of social networking can up risky sex behaviour - Mar 06, 2011
- Children of a lesser god... on Kolkata's streets - Dec 28, 2011