Child swallows bulb, successfully operated upon

February 26th, 2009 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS  

Kolkata, Feb 26 (IANS) Four-year-old Pratima Aleymagar, who had swallowed a light bulb 10 days ago, was successfully operated upon here Thursday and is now out of danger, doctors said.
Aleymagar had swallowed a decorative bulb Feb 16 while playing at her residence in Narendrapur town in South 24 Parganas district.

Her parents were, however, unaware of it. After she started coughing blood, they took her took her to a local doctor, who could not detect the problem, leading to her condition deteriorating over the next 3-4 days.

The girl was admitted to SSKM Hospital in south Kolkata Wednesday, where an X-ray revealed that the bulb had got stuck in her left lung.

“Aleymagar underwent a surgery Thursday morning. The width of the bulb was 2 mm and it was struck so tightly inside the left bronchia that the slightest pressure would have led to her death,” surgeon Arunabha Sengupta, who operated on the girl, told IANS.

“This is one of the rarest cases in Indian medical history where a child has survived such a critical surgery,” Sengupta said.

The doctor said Aleymagar is out of danger.

“The girl is out of danger and is recovering. Still, we will keep her under 24-hour observation,” Sengupta added.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe