Child swallows bulb, successfully operated uponFebruary 26th, 2009 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 26 (IANS) Four-year-old Pratima Aleymagar, who had swallowed a light bulb 10 days ago, was successfully operated upon here Thursday and is now out of danger, doctors said.
Aleymagar had swallowed a decorative bulb Feb 16 while playing at her residence in Narendrapur town in South 24 Parganas district.
Her parents were, however, unaware of it. After she started coughing blood, they took her took her to a local doctor, who could not detect the problem, leading to her condition deteriorating over the next 3-4 days.
The girl was admitted to SSKM Hospital in south Kolkata Wednesday, where an X-ray revealed that the bulb had got stuck in her left lung.
“Aleymagar underwent a surgery Thursday morning. The width of the bulb was 2 mm and it was struck so tightly inside the left bronchia that the slightest pressure would have led to her death,” surgeon Arunabha Sengupta, who operated on the girl, told IANS.
“This is one of the rarest cases in Indian medical history where a child has survived such a critical surgery,” Sengupta said.
The doctor said Aleymagar is out of danger.
“The girl is out of danger and is recovering. Still, we will keep her under 24-hour observation,” Sengupta added.
- Needle removed from child's stomach - Feb 28, 2010
- Boy Swallows Scissors But Survives Miraculously - Nov 05, 2010
- AMRI directors denied bail - Dec 23, 2011
- Mamata makes surprise visit to SSKM hospital - May 25, 2011
- Pinki's gender test report reaches hospital - Jul 09, 2012
- Rat-bite death: Hospital orders probe, Mamata alleges CPI-M role (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Athlete Pinki's blood sample taken for chromosomal test - Jul 02, 2012
- Two Kolkata Metro stations to be named after journalists - Feb 07, 2011
- Pinki denied bail, remanded to further judicial custody - Jun 29, 2012
- MMS showing Pinki undergoing gender test goes viral online - Jul 02, 2012
- Two people arrested in Falak case (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Athlete Pinki undergoes gender test again in Kolkata - Jun 25, 2012
- Two held for molesting minors in Bengal - Sep 02, 2012
- AMRI directors denied bail, sent to judicial custody (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Brit boy suffers only minor cuts after swallowing a pair of nail scissors - Nov 05, 2010