Child rights panel asked to probe kids’ traffickingMarch 31st, 2010 - 10:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 31 (IANS) The Supreme Court Wednesday asked the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) to probe the suspected trafficking of children from northeastern states to Tamil Nadu and Kerala on the pretext of educating them.
“We would like to have an inquiry into the matter,” said a bench of Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan, Justice Deepak Verma and Justice B.S. Chauhan.
The bench also asked the child rights panel to apprise the court of its probe report in four weeks. The panel adjourned the matter for next hearing in May.
There is need for some investigation as children belonging to the poor families from northeastern regions were lured by some illegal organisations on the pretext of providing them better education, the bench remarked responding to the submission made by counsel Aparna Bhat in the case.
The apex court was hearing Bhat’s application on the issue of recovery of 76 children from Assam and Manipur, who were lodged in an unregistered children’s home in Kanyakumari district in Tamil Nadu.
- 98 northeastern kids rescued from Tamil Nadu - May 08, 2010
- Apex court reserves order on suit against Balakrishnan (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Security men's continued stay in schools agitates rights group - Nov 19, 2010
- Apex court reserves order on suit against Balakrishnan - May 07, 2012
- Change in government should not hit students: Apex court (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- 76 trafficked children return home in northeast - Feb 19, 2010
- Improve child labourers' rehabilitation, court tells Delhi - Jan 12, 2011
- Government trying to implement right to education by mid-2010 - Jan 06, 2010
- Child labour rampant in Gujarat's cotton fields: NCPCR - Oct 13, 2011
- Child rights body to regulate education act's implementation - Apr 03, 2012
- Newborn's death: Rights panel seeks report in 15 days - Nov 03, 2011
- Court asks police to probe child trafficking gangs (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- Dead man alive: Apex court asks Jhansi court to probe - Dec 09, 2011
- Government to compensate rape victims - Jul 06, 2011
- Vishva-Bharati row: Court issues contempt notice against PM, others - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, assam, bench, better education, bhat, chief justice, deepak verma, k g balakrishnan, kerala, manipur, New Delhi, northeastern regions, northeastern states, organisations, poor families, pretext, submission, supreme court, trafficking of children