Child labour rampant in Gujarat’s cotton fields: NCPCROctober 13th, 2011 - 8:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 13 (IANS) The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has found a large number of child labourers working in the Bt cotton fields in Gujarat and is mulling recommending inclusion of this work in the banned list, the panel said Thursday.
The child rights panel has sent a team of experts to Gujarat on Oct 7-10 to look into complaints made by some NGOs.
“We have found child labour cases to be rampant in the Bt. cotton fields in the Shihori and Khimana areas of Banaskantha district and subsequently directed the labour department to take appropriate action,” said Yogesh Dube, member, NCPCR, who had led the central team.
The team during its visit had a meeting with the Gujarat government officials, including the state chief secretary and senior officials from labour, social justice and empowerment, education, home, health, woman and child development, among others.
The commission also raised concern over closure of schools in the area depriving children of their entitlements and asked the district administration to facilitate speedy resolution of issues concerning children.
The commission is also mooting the idea of taking up policy matters, such as inclusion of Bt cotton in prohibited list, at a higher level and follow it up with the concerned ministry/department.
- No report on girls missing from Ghaziabad shelter: Panel - Jul 04, 2012
- Apex body looks at 'gaps' in Kashmir juvenile homes - Jun 28, 2012
- Apex child rights body rescues nine child labourers - Sep 19, 2011
- Rights body raps Meghalaya over child labour - Nov 01, 2011
- Drug abuse, insanitary conditions found in UP juvenile homes - Jul 04, 2012
- Scandalous state of Mathura's child welfare homes - Jun 25, 2012
- Scandalous state of Mathura's child welfare homes (Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 25, 2012
- Bt Cotton has benefited farmers, raised yield: Study - Jun 07, 2012
- Time to wake up to child labour issue, says Gursharan Kaur - Jul 21, 2012
- Probe agriculture ministry's role in clearing Bt Cotton: Parliament panel - Aug 12, 2012
- Review anti-child labour legislations: Rights groups - Jun 12, 2012
- Apex child rights panel to complete five years - Mar 03, 2012
- NCPCR seeks report from Karnataka on RTE opposition (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Child rights panel slams facilities in Bengal hospital - Nov 26, 2011
- Modernisation of agriculture encouraging child labour: Experts - Nov 17, 2009
Tags: bt cotton, chief secretary, child development, child labour, child labourers, cotton fields, district administration, government officials, gujarat government, home health, labour department, ministry department, oct 7, policy matters, senior officials, social justice, speedy resolution, state chief, team of experts, woman and child