Chief justice not averse to judges declaring their assetsJanuary 23rd, 2009 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 23 (IANS) Seeking to set aside the controversy over official disclosure of judges’ wealth, Chief Justice of India K.G. Balakrishnan Friday said he was not averse to the judges of the higher judiciary declaring their assets.”I do not have any problem if individual judges declare their assets,” said Justice Balakrishnan in an informal interaction with reporters after releasing the autobiography of the apex court’s former judge Justice V. Ramaswamy at the Indian Law Institute here.
Asked about the reports that judges have relented to make official disclosure of their assets, the chief justice said they have taken no such decision, but added they may discuss the issue during their daily meetings in the apex court in the coming days.
Asked if he had convened any meeting of the apex court judges to discuss the contentious issue, the chief justice said, “We meet every day. We will discuss it.”
Asked for his personal views on the issue, he said, “My personal views are immaterial.”
As per the prevailing arrangement, the judges of the Supreme Court and various states’ high courts keep apprising their respective chief justices annually about their assets and wealth. They are also supposed to apprise the chief justices whenever they make any major wealth or asset acquisition.
The judges of the higher judiciary, however, have no institutional arrangement to declare their wealth.
Acting on a lawsuit, seeking declaration of their assets by the judges of the higher judiciary, India’s official transparency panel, the Central Information Commission, had recently asked the apex court judges to declare their assets.
The Supreme Court, in turn, has moved the Delhi High Court challenging the CIC’s authority and directive.
- The year apex court judges declared their assets (Flashback 2009) - Dec 29, 2009
- Delhi High Court putting CJI in RTI ambit will invite apex court scrutiny - Jan 12, 2010
- Apex court shelves CIC order on judicial appointment - Dec 04, 2009
- Apex court moves Delhi High Court against judges' assets (Third lead) - Oct 05, 2009
- Cabinet clears bill on judicial transparency - Oct 05, 2010
- One judge can't embarrass judiciary: chief justice - Aug 24, 2009
- Bill on disclosure of judges' assets next week - Jul 25, 2009
- Apex court reserves ruling on RTI plea on judges' posting - Nov 18, 2010
- My office out of RTI Act's purview: Chief justice - Aug 28, 2009
- Apex court seeks report on plaint against Balakrishnan (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Apex court given report on ex-chief justice Balakrishnan (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Demand for details on judges goes to constitutional bench - Nov 26, 2010
- Justice Dinakaran seeks stay on inquiry, member's removal - Apr 26, 2011
- Apex court reserves order on suit against Balakrishnan - May 07, 2012
- Apex court poser on plea against rights panel chief (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012