Chidambaram to visit all states to review security (Lead)January 5th, 2009 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 5 (IANS) Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram Monday said he would visit all the states over the next two-three months to review security and figure out how to “meet the challenges of the times”. Chidambaram, who visited the headquarters of the Delhi Police to review the force’s preparedness in the fight against terrorism, said: “I have begun a series of visits to various states. I have already reviewed Assam and today I am here to review the state of policing in Delhi and how to meet the challenges of the times including terrorism.”
Addressing the meeting attended by Delhi Police Commissioner Y.S. Dadwal, all special police commissioners, joint commissioners, additional commissioners and district deputy commissioners, Chidambaram said terrorism was not the only challenge.
“Terrorism is not the only challenge. We have the law and order situation, providing a sense of security to women, enforcement of traffic rules, gathering and sharing of intelligence, strengthening of forces and procuring technical equipments for the police.
“All the issues are same for all the states and over the next two-three months I will visit all the states of the country.”
He said he would be meeting chief ministers of all the states Tuesday. Such meetings, he said, should become a regular exercise.
Chidambaram, who visited the police headquarters for the first time since he took over as home minister, is learnt to have discussed the new terror detection National Investigation Agency (NIA).
The minister, who spent nearly one-and-a-half-hours with officers of the force, was given a 45-minute presentation by the police commissioner. He assured speedy implementation of all the proposals, an official said.
“A presentation was made before him (Chidambaram) regarding the force preparations and series of measures taken by us against terrorism especially after the Delhi and Mumbai terror attack.
“He was also briefed about the future requirements and some proposals which have been pending before the home ministry for some years.”
- Chidambaram pays surprise visit to Delhi Police headquarters - Sep 29, 2010
- Chidambaram visits Delhi Police headquarters, reviews security - Jan 05, 2009
- NIA still part of Mumbai blast probe: Chidambaram - Aug 01, 2011
- Home secretary reviews CWG, Delhi security (Lead) - Sep 26, 2010
- No chopper this time, Chidambaram takes busy road in normal Srinagar - Jun 21, 2011
- 11 unsolved terror cases since 2000: Chidambaram - Sep 15, 2011
- Chidambaram to visit Assam today - Nov 12, 2010
- Mumbai blasts coordinated terror attack: Chidambaram (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Security arrangements for CWG are foolproof: Dadwal - Sep 23, 2010
- Delhi may get new police chief - Nov 02, 2010
- India to discuss security challenges with state governments - Apr 13, 2012
- Chidambaram visits Leh town - Oct 30, 2010
- No final decision on NCTC: Chidambaram - May 05, 2012
- Chidambaram discusses AFSPA with Kashmir government (Second Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Chidambaram chairs security meeting in Srinagar (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2011