Chidambaram arrives in Lalgarh amidst shutdown callApril 4th, 2010 - 10:32 am ICT by IANS
Lalgarh (West Bengal), April 4 (IANS) Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram arrived in this Maoist-infested belt of West Bengal’s West Midnapore district Sunday to review the situation amidst a shutdown called by a pro-ultra tribal body.
Chidambaram, who flew in a helicopter from Kolkata in the morning, landed near the Lalgarh police station and went inside it to talk to the security forces troopers.
He is also scheduled to go to the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) camp in the area.
The tribal body People’s Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCAPA) has called a one day shutdown in West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia districts Sunday to protest the home minister’s three-and-a-half hour tour to the areas.
The PCAPA has also called an indefinite blockade in the three districts from Monday claiming that the security forces were torturing innocent villagers.
Suspected Maoist guerrillas had triggered a landmine blast in Lalgarh Saturday. Chidambaram’s visit to the Lalgarh belt, about 200 km west of the metropolis, comes about nine-and-a-half months after the joint forces comprising central paramilitary troopers and state armed police began an operation to flush out the left-wing extremists from the area.
- Opposition shutdowns hit life in parts of Bengal - Jan 10, 2011
- Pro-Maoist group calls 24-hour shutdown Monday - Dec 18, 2010
- Partial response to shutdown call in West Bengal - Dec 28, 2010
- Pro-Maoist shutdown hits parts of three Bengal districts (Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
- Maoist strike call draws partial response in West Bengal - Apr 26, 2010
- Pro-Maoist shutdown hits life of three Bengal districts - Jan 11, 2011
- Second day of pro-Maoist group's shutdown peaceful - Nov 17, 2010
- Trooper, Maoist killed in West Bengal gunfight - Jun 27, 2010
- Chidambaram, Buddhadeb review anti-Maoist operations (Lead) - Apr 03, 2010
- Pro-Maoist group's shutdown paralyses life in West Bengal areas - Aug 03, 2010
- Bengal on high alert ahead of Maoist protest - Jun 17, 2010
- Pro-Maoist tribal body's spokesman re-arrested - Jul 01, 2011
- Pro-Maoist shutdown cripples life in three Bengal districts - Dec 29, 2010
- Three bodies recovered in West Bengal - May 21, 2010
- PCAPA claims responsibility for train attack - May 28, 2010
Tags: armed police, atrocities, bankura, blockade, guerrillas, innocent villagers, kolkata, landmine blast, maoist, midnapore district, p chidambaram, police force, police station, purulia, reserve police, s committee, security forces, union home minister, west bengal, wing extremists