Chhattisgarh villagers migrate as jumbos run amokOctober 18th, 2008 - 3:03 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Oct 18 (IANS) About 200 residents of a Chhattisharh village migrated to safer areas Saturday after a herd of wild elephants entered their village and killed an elderly woman, an official said.Forest department sources said about 200 residents of Paldha village under Surajpur block in the state’s extreme northern Surguja district, some 400 km from here, have left their village after 11 wild elephants ran amok Friday night.
“A few villagers used bonfires to keep the elephants away from their homes but the elephants actually got irritated and chased away several villagers. Rukmani Urao, 68, was trampled to death,” officials at forest headquarters said.
Chhattisgarh’s vast northern region comprising of Surguja, Koria, Jashpur, Korba and Raigarh districts have witnessed dozens of killings by wild elephants in the past three years besides massive loss to standing paddy crops.
The state government has paid compensation to the families of the victims and to those whose crops were damaged in elephant attacks.
The state government has said that it is planning to develop a safe corridor for wild elephants in forests to reduce cases of man-elephant conflicts.
- Chhattisgarh villagers migrate as elephants run amok - Oct 08, 2010
- Jumbo herd moves in, families flee in Chhattisgarh - Jul 18, 2011
- Jumbos kill 26 in Chhattisgarh in one year - Feb 22, 2011
- Wild jumbos gatecrash school to party - Aug 31, 2011
- Tribal families spend nights outside due to wild jumbos - Jan 03, 2012
- Angry villagers block road as jumbos run amok - Jun 28, 2010
- Jumbos give Chhattisgarh villagers sleepless nights - Dec 20, 2010
- Elephants demolish a dozen houses in Chhattisgarh village - Jan 12, 2011
- Wild elephants trample man to death - Jan 05, 2010
- Wild jumbos cause panic in Chattisgarh village - Mar 26, 2010
- Man-elephant conflict: Chhattisgarh plans experts' panel - Dec 17, 2010
- 7,028 jumbo attacks in Chhattisgarh in 7 months - Sep 09, 2011
- Government hikes compensation amid elephant menace - Jun 29, 2010
- Chhattisgarh minister on tour to tackle man-elephant conflict - Nov 17, 2010
- Jumbos kill 116 in Chhattisgarh in five years - Mar 01, 2011