Chhattisgarh teachers demand pay hike, 50 arrestedJune 17th, 2008 - 8:34 am ICT by IANS
Raipur, June 16 (IANS) Police arrested at least 50 contract teachers Monday as they marched towards Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh’s official residence here demanding a hike in their meagre monthly allowance. About 125 contract teachers from the state’s interiors assembled at the Budha Talab area and then marched towards Singh’s residence before police stopped them and arrested 50 of them.
Unfazed by the police action, the teachers announced they would step up their agitation to mount pressure on the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party to raise their monthly honourarium from the present measly Rs.1,000.
Some 5,000 contract teachers in the state have previously sought absorption as permanent government employees.
- Over 1,000 striking teachers arrested in Chhattisgarh - Nov 07, 2011
- Raipur shuts to support Anna - Aug 27, 2011
- Over 100 Congress workers arrested in Chhattisgarh - Mar 25, 2012
- Chhattisgarh supports Anna, 80 court arrest (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Chhattisgarh Left parties rally behind Anna - Aug 23, 2011
- Traders, students join Anna's protest in Chhattisgarh - Aug 18, 2011
- Crowds swell in Chhattisgarh to support Anna - Aug 17, 2011
- Rally in Chhattisgarh supports Binayak Sen - Jan 31, 2011
- Chhattisgarh government staff rally for Anna - Aug 22, 2011
- Protest in Raipur against Anna Hazare's detention - Aug 16, 2011
- Chhattisgarh gets flak for action against teachers - Nov 09, 2011
- Congress threatens stir after 1,000 tribals arrested - Mar 21, 2012
- Celebrations in Chhattisgarh after Anna breaks fast - Aug 28, 2011
- Petrol pumps in Chhattisgarh shut down to protest hike - Sep 18, 2011
- Congress to take Chhattisgarh's coal mining expose to public - Apr 16, 2012