Chhattisgarh suicide: Minister claims innocenceJuly 31st, 2012 - 6:30 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, July 31 (IANS) A day after the Chhattisgarh High Court ordered a probe into a farm market worker’s suicide, Agriculture Minister Chandrashekhar Sahu Tuesday denied allegations that he had harassed the victim before the 2009 incident.
Justice T.P. Sharma Monday directed chief judicial magistrate, Raipur, to probe the death of Chhabilal Sahu, a worker of the Abhanpur Krishi Upaj Mandi.
The worker committed suicide allegedly after being insulted and harassed by Chandrasekhar Sahu, who was then president of the farm produce wholesale market.
The minister told IANS: “I have nothing to do with the alleged suicide of a mandi employee. The enquiry will reveal the truth about the incident.”
The high court’s direction on the probe came on a petition by the victim’s widow Hemlata Sahu.
Chandrasekhar Sahu insulted the victim when he refused to settle a land dispute on his terms, she alleged.
After hearing the widow’s plea, Justice Sharma sent the matter back to the chief judicial magistrate with a direction to take a fresh look and submit a report.
- Court again rejects cops' plea for Chaddha's custody (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Villagers shun Chhattisgarh 'carnage' probe - Jul 14, 2012
- Kanda's police custody extended by three days (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Chaddha's judicial custody extended till Sep 11 - Aug 30, 2012
- Kanda's police custody extended by three days - Aug 25, 2012
- Apex court notice to Kanda, brother in assault case (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Aruna Chaddha moves bail application - Aug 31, 2012
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for custody death (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Kanda sent to judicial custody (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Geetika case politically motivated, Kanda tells court (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Court issues warrant against Kanda (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Chhattisgarh gives free raincoats to poor women workers - Jun 22, 2010
- Court issues warrant against Kanda - Aug 16, 2012
- Two held with deer antlers in Chhattisgarh - Jan 11, 2012
- Court again rejects cops' plea seeking Chaddha's custody - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, allegations, alleged suicide, chandrashekhar, enquiry, fresh look, hemlata, innocence, judicial magistrate, land dispute, market worker, petition, plea, sahu, truth about, wholesale, wholesale market