Chhattisgarh steel makers want more iron oreAugust 23rd, 2008 - 6:52 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Aug 23 (IANS) As many as 125 sponge iron unit owners in Chhattisgarh have sought increased iron ore supply from the state-run National Mineral Development Corp (NMDC) to tide over the current shortage. The Chhattisgarh Sponge Iron Manufacturing Association (CSIMA), an industry body that represents the sponge iron makers in the state, Saturday said it needed an urgent increased quota from NMDC to the state’s sponge units to help them get over the severe iron ore shortage.
Last week, iron ore shortage forced 25 sponge iron units in the state to stop production.
“We have requested the state government to ask NMDC to increase its supply up to at least eight million tonnes per annum from the current supply of about 2.5 million tonnes,” a CSIMA official told IANS.
NMDC, India’s leading iron ore producer and exporter, which has three mines in Chhattisgarh’s Dantewada district, is the traditional supplier of iron ore to the state’s sponge iron units through the State Investment Promotion Board (SIPB).
“The sponge iron industry is facing its worst raw material crisis as NMDC is refusing to increase our quota,” CSIMA president Anil Nachrani said.
Chhattisgarh’s 125 sponge iron units that contribute about 35 percent of the country’s total annual sponge iron output of nearly 20 million tones require 12 million tonnes of iron ore a year.
Sponge iron is an alternative to steel scrap and is used as a raw material for manufacturing steel products.
- Over 100 Chhattisgarh sponge iron units face closure - Jan 15, 2012
- Iron ore shortage hits Chhattisgarh, Orissa sponge units - Apr 12, 2010
- Iron ore shortage closes 25 units in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Aug 14, 2008
- 25 sponge iron units closed in Chhattisgarh - Aug 14, 2008
- JSW Steel scales down production to 30 percent - Sep 26, 2011
- Policy matters, iron ore sourcing delaying steel plant: JSW Steel - Jan 10, 2012
- Chhattisgarh sponge iron units face closure - Aug 05, 2008
- Karnataka steel industry seeks more iron ore - Sep 29, 2011
- Chhattisgarh sponge iron units facing closure - Nov 03, 2008
- 'Mining ban hits iron ore supply to foundries' - Feb 29, 2012
- Essar Group doubles steel capacity at Hazira, Gujarat - Feb 24, 2012
- Bengal's secondary steel sector face raw material shortage - Jan 26, 2011
- Karnataka ore transport ban affects Goa's iron plants - Jun 21, 2011
- Steel ministry subsidy scheme for iron ore processing - Mar 26, 2012
- NMDC resumes iron shipment from Chhattisgarh - Jan 23, 2012