Chhattisgarh RTI activist shot at, in stable conditionJuly 7th, 2012 - 11:14 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, July 7 (IANS) A leading Chhattisgarh rights activist was injured when two unidentified gunmen shot him twice in the state’s industrial town Raigarh. He is said to be out of danger now.
Ramesh Agrawal, 56, known for protecting local communities from industrial pollution and displacement due to industrial projects through Right to Information Act (RTI), was shot at in his office in a congested locality in heart of the town, some 225 km from Raipur.
“Agrawal was shot at in his thigh by two masked men, who arrived on a motorcycle, while he was in his office… He was rushed to district government hospital,” Raigarh police chief Anand Chhabra, told IANS.
He added that doctors had removed both the bullets from his thigh and he was out of danger but still kept in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). Chhabra said that no arrest was made in the case though all exit points of the city were sealed off to track down attackers.
Agrawal shot to fame last year when the Amnesty International asked Indian government as well as the Chhattisgarh government to release him after he was arrested by police on a complaint by Jindal Group.
- Release jailed Chhattisgarh activists, demands Amnesty - Jun 04, 2011
- Environmental activist: Another Binayak Sen in making? - Jun 14, 2011
- Chhattisgarh environmentalist chained to hospital bed - Jun 02, 2011
- Four held for abducting Class 1 boy - Apr 29, 2011
- Boy abducted in broad daylight - Apr 21, 2011
- Amit Jogi arrested for violating ban on gathering - Jan 31, 2011
- Jindal Steel lodges bribery case against NGO activist - Jun 26, 2010
- Chhattisgarh shuts down against FDI in retail - Dec 01, 2011
- Traders, students join Anna's protest in Chhattisgarh - Aug 18, 2011
- Chhattisgarh BJP legislator killed in car crash - Apr 09, 2010
- Chhattisgarh supports Anna, 80 court arrest (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Crowds swell in Chhattisgarh to support Anna - Aug 17, 2011
- Five killed in Chhattisgarh power plant accident - Jul 21, 2012
- Masked men shoot bank cashier, loot Rs.1 million - Mar 28, 2012
- 20,000 Chhattisgarh girls sold: Jogi - Nov 13, 2011
Tags: agrawal, amnesty international, anand, attackers, chhabra, chhattisgarh government, displacement, district government, exit points, government hospital, indian government, industrial pollution, industrial projects, intensive care unit, police chief, right to information act, right to information act rti, rights activist, stable condition, unidentified gunmen