Chhattisgarh police chief seeks leave during electionFebruary 28th, 2009 - 3:50 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Feb 28 (IANS) Chhattisgarh Director General of Police Vishwaranjan has sought permission to take leave from March to May when general elections will be held. The officer says he wants time to write books.
“I have sent a leave application to the home department seeking a three-month leave from March 1. I have to write some books and complete other long-pending literary works besides attending to family assignments,” Vishwaranjan told IANS Saturday.
Vishwaranjan had been at loggerheads with the Election Commission over the issue of police deployment in the Maoist-hit areas of the state when it went to the polls in November 2008.
After the elections, he told reporters that he felt humiliated by the commission and had even thought of quitting the job.
The commission had sent a letter to the state government asking for action against Vishwaranjan for his outburst.
According to official sources, Chief Minister Raman Singh is reluctant to approve his leave. But Vishwaranjan is adamant and does not want to be on duty during the Lok Sabha polls.
A source close to Vishwaranjan said: “He will again have a tussle with the Election Commission regarding force deployment and reshuffling of senior officers. Rather than getting into unnecessary rift, he wants to keep away from the whole election process.”
- Vishwaranjan called back as Chhattisgarh police chief - May 20, 2009
- Poll panel clears name of new Chhattisgarh DGP (Lead) - Mar 13, 2009
- Not guilty of violating model code, Verma tells poll panel (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Aroon Raman could be India's answer to Robert Ludlum - Sep 21, 2012
- Congress legislators want seniors to come together (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 08, 2012
- Karunanidhi attacks poll panel - Mar 26, 2011
- Poll panel removes Chhattisgarh police chief - Mar 11, 2009
- Chhattisgarh seeks waiver on anti-Maoist forces expenditure - Jan 19, 2011
- Speed up poll reforms, Quraishi urges PM - Apr 13, 2012
- Khurshid bows to 'wisdom' of Election Commission - Feb 14, 2012
- Over 60 percent polling in Mandu bypoll - Nov 30, 2011
- Chhattisgarh recommends two officers for DGP post to poll panel - Mar 13, 2009
- Chhattisgarh cabinet reshuffled - Feb 18, 2012
- Praful denies resignation, NCP stays with UPA (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Chhattisgarh cabinet reshuffled (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012