Chhattisgarh police arrest 22 for assaulting 50 womenDecember 23rd, 2008 - 2:21 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Dec 23 (IANS) Twenty two men have been arrested in Chhattisgarh for assaulting about 50 women and branding them witches, a senior official said Tuesday. According to reports, a nine day “purification ceremony” was organised by about 200 villagers on the advice of a local leader at Dhodhakesra village in Surguja district, about 400 km north of Raipur.
During the “ceremony”, about 50 women were branded witches and they were forced to get a haircut “to free them from impact of evil spirits”. The women were also beaten in public. The “ceremony” ended Dec 19.
“Police will not tolerate such an act; 22 men have been arrested under the stringent Chhattisgarh Witchcraft (Prevention) Act that makes crimes against women in name of witches a non-bailable offence,” senior police officer Radheshyam Nayak told IANS.
He said the probe is on and villagers are being interrogated, adding that more arrests are likely.
Chief Minister Raman Singh has taken a serious view of the incident and termed it “most inhuman, unfortunate and shameful”. He has asked police chief Vishwaranjan to thoroughly investigate the case and ensure tough punishment to culprits.
With a rising number of cases against women in the name of witchcraft, the state government enacted a Witchcraft (Prevention) Act in 2005. Those convicted under the act can be jailed for upto five years.
- Probe begins into Chhattisgarh witchcraft case - Dec 21, 2008
- Couple blinded for alleged witchcraft - May 21, 2011
- Man kills brother over land tensions, witchcraft - Nov 01, 2011
- Woman forced to eat human excreta on witchcraft charge - Apr 28, 2012
- Boy kills aunt, thinking she is a witch - Mar 06, 2010
- Dalit woman killed in Bihar for practising witchcraft - May 24, 2012
- Teenager held in Chhattisgarh for killing woman - Jun 20, 2011
- Bihar woman lynched for practicing 'witchcraft' - Aug 01, 2012
- Assam sexagenarian vows to save witch-hunt victims - May 19, 2012
- Two held, 35 kg marijuana seized - Apr 21, 2011
- Human trafficker held in Chhattisgarh - Nov 11, 2011
- Man stabs his sister on suspicion of witchcraft - Oct 01, 2011
- 'Approach high courts for action against witchhunts' - Mar 12, 2010
- Crusade against withcraft by street plays in Jharkhand - Mar 07, 2010
- Woman attacked for 'witchcraft' - Mar 05, 2011