Chhattisgarh orders probe into girl’s shootout killingAugust 31st, 2011 - 12:20 am ICT by IANS
Raipur, Aug 30 (IANS) The Chhattisgarh government Tuesday ordered a judicial probe into the killing of a teenaged girl by policemen in alleged staged shootout in July. The opposition Congress raised the issue in the state assembly and questioned the government’s intention to punish the guilty.
Meena Khalko, a tribal girl branded as a Maoist, was killed July 6 allegedly by several policemen in Surguja district under the jurisdiction of Chando police station.
“The single-member judicial commission will probe the killing and will submit the report within three months to the state government,” a statement of the Chhattisgarh government said.
Anita Jha, district and sessions court judge of Bilaspur, has been appointed to probe the killing.
The state assembly witnessed uproarious scenes on the issue as the opposition Congress members asked the government to reply why a first information report (FIR) was not registered in the case till date.
“It was not an encounter and the poor girl was not even a Maoist, she was gunned down by police in a complete fake encounter, I can’t understand why was an FIR not registered in the killing,” Nand Kumar Patel, former home minister and Congress legislator was heard saying amid slogans by Congress members.
He sought the resignation of the state home minister.
The incident had sparked tension as it was widely believed that the 16-year-old girl was sexually assaulted by the policemen and was shot dead as she had planned to expose them.
The state government had July 12 ordered confinement of 12 local policemen of Chando police station.
Tribals termed the incident a cold-blooded murder.
- Congress walks out in Chhattisgarh house over girl's killing - Dec 23, 2011
- Staged gunfights: Congress walks out of Chhattisgarh assembly - Sep 09, 2011
- Family alleges teen killed in Chhattisgarh staged shootout - Jul 12, 2011
- Chhattisgarh killing issue rocks assembly - Jul 13, 2012
- Congress seeks CBI probe into Chhattisgarh killings - Jul 02, 2012
- Tribal leaders seek probe into police crackdown - Mar 24, 2012
- Korsaguda gunfight: Chhattisgarh open to any probe, says CM - Jul 06, 2012
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for custody death (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Chhattisgarh cop killed in Maoist attack - Sep 16, 2011
- Congress team to probe civilians' torture in Chhattisgarh - Aug 04, 2012
- Two cops of crack anti-Maoist training school held for rape - Apr 30, 2011
- 20,000 Chhattisgarh girls sold: Jogi - Nov 13, 2011
- Ire over village head's slaying in Chhattisgarh mounts - Aug 13, 2011
- Chhattisgarh house paralysed over Dantewada rampage, minister blames Maoists - Mar 29, 2011
- Congress to raise Chhattisgarh killings in assembly session - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: bilaspur, chhattisgarh government, cold blooded murder, congress members, home minister, information report, jha, judicial commission, judicial probe, kumar patel, legislator, maoist, meena, opposition congress, policemen, poor girl, sessions court, state assembly, teenaged girl, tribal girl