Chhattisgarh on alert against Maoist strikeAugust 14th, 2011 - 1:26 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Aug 14 (IANS) An alert was sounded across Chhattisgarh Sunday and security strengthened as the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) threatened to disrupt Independence Day functions Monday, police said.
Security forces moved into the interiors of the restive Bastar region in the southern tip of the state.
“The forces have been put on maximum alert in all five districts of Bastar besides Raipur, Dhamtari and Rajnandgaon districts,” a senior police officer told IANS.
Units of the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) have been deployed in the urban areas including this state capital.
The venue of the main function here Monday - the police parade ground where Chief Minister Raman Singh will hoist the tricolour - has been handed over to the ATS.
The entry and exit points of Raipur city have been sealed.
Maoists have put up banners and distributed leaflets in the jungle areas of Bastar region asking the people to stay away from the Independence Day functions, reports said.
The lone passenger train between Jagdalpur, the headquarters of Bastar region, and Kirandul in iron ore-rich Dantewada district was cancelled Sunday and Monday by the East Coast Railway.
Bastar is made up of Dantewada, Bijapur, Narayanpur, Bastar and Kanker districts.
- Maoists oppose Chhattisgarh's foundation anniversary - Oct 28, 2011
- Chhattisgarh ups security after Maoists threat - Jan 25, 2011
- Maoists kill villager, blast Chitrakot police post (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Maoists blast in tourist destination Chitrakot - Feb 07, 2011
- Shutdown begins in Chhattisgarh amid fears of more attacks - May 18, 2010
- 15 Maoists arrested in Chhattisgarh - Oct 05, 2010
- Maoists blast Chitrakot police post, disrupt Bastar life (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Chhattisgarh to give cheap grams in Maoist-hit districts - May 29, 2011
- Chhattisgarh on high alert after Kishanji's killing - Nov 25, 2011
- Half of Chhattisgarh's diamond belt in Maoist strongholds - Aug 02, 2010
- Maoists kill three, as shutdown hits Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Fearful in Chhattisgarh day after Maoist strike (Lead) - May 18, 2010
- Man killed by Maoists during Chhattisgarh shutdown (Lead) - Oct 23, 2010
- After attack, Chhattisgarh hunts for Maoists - Oct 22, 2011
- Maoists abduct two villagers - Jan 10, 2012
Tags: ats, bijapur, chhattisgarh, chief minister, communist party of india, east coast railway, exit points, iron ore, jungle areas, kanker, leaflets, maoist, maoists, maximum alert, parade ground, passenger train, police parade, raman singh, southern tip, tricolour