Chhattisgarh medical exam cancelled, 78 held for paper leakJune 19th, 2011 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, June 19 (IANS) The Chhattisgarh pre-medical test (PMT) was cancelled Sunday after a police crackdown in Bilaspur district led to the arrest of 78 people, mostly students, after the exam paper was leaked.
“Six of the 78 arrested who belong to Bihar and Jharkhand were the kingpins of the paper leak while the rest are students,” Bilaspur Superintendent of Police Ajay Yadav told IANS over phone, refusing to elaborate.
About 22,000 students were scheduled to appear at 48 centres across the state.
This is the second time in two months that the PMT was cancelled. The exam was held in the state May 11 but was later cancelled as a majority of the questions were found to have been lifted from the internet.
The crime branch of the state police that nabbed 78 people at Takhatpur area in Bilaspur district Saturday midnight said more arrests were likely as some inter-state groups took heavy cash from students for paper leak.
Students and political parties have slammed the Chhattisgarh Professional Examination Board that is responsible for conducting exams for admissions in various medical colleges.
Nandkumar Patel, the chief of the state’s main opposition Congress, has accused the Board of harassing the students by failing to hold the exams.
“It’s too much, the Board is mentally harassing the students,” Patel told IANS over phone.
“Last month, the exam was declared cancelled because more than 80 percent questions were found to be that of Uttar Pradesh State Public Service Commission examination and the solved questions were directly lifted from the website,” he added.
Reports from Raigarh, Bilaspur and other cities said students and parents held demonstrations against the Board for playing with the sentiments of students.
Activists of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS)-affiliated students’ body Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) and the National Students Union of India (NSUI) of the Congress also protested.
The security of the Board office here has been strengthened due to the possibility of an attack by angry students.
- 36 arrested for leaking exam papers in Bihar - Feb 17, 2012
- Six arrested for leaking Class 10 paper - Feb 22, 2012
- 3 held for trying to leak SBI exam paper (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- High Court refuses to stay engineering exam results - May 18, 2011
- LIC entrance exam paper leaked, one held - Feb 27, 2011
- AIEEE exam held after three hour delay (Lead) - May 01, 2011
- High-tech mobiles used in AIIMS paper leak - Jan 09, 2012
- AIIMS exam racket busted, five arrested (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Congress workers to court arrests in Chhattisgarh - Dec 05, 2011
- Girl tries to end life after MMS blackmail - Apr 26, 2011
- AIIMS exam racket busted, five arrested (Second Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Thousands of Congress workers court arrest - Dec 10, 2011
- AIIMS paper leak accused sent to jail till Feb 14 - Jan 31, 2012
- AIEEE paper leak: CBSE issued notice - May 05, 2011
- Class 12 English paper cancelled in Haryana - Mar 10, 2010
Tags: abvp, ajay, crime branch, inter state, kingpins, medical colleges, medical exam, medical test, national students, opposition congress, pmt, police crackdown, professional examination, public service commission, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, state groups, state police, students union, vidyarthi, yadav