Chhattisgarh Maoist ambush: Nine policemen confirmed dead (Lead)May 24th, 2011 - 12:14 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, May 24 (IANS) The bodies of nine police personnel, who were missing since Monday afternoon after Maoists ambushed their vehicle near the Chhattisgarh-Orissa border, were recovered Tuesday morning, police said. One policeman is still missing.
“We have recovered nine bodies. Search operations are still on,” Director General of Police Vishwaranjan said.
The 10 police personnel, including an additional superintendent of police, were missing after Maoists ambushed their vehicle in a thickly forested area along the Chhattisgarh-Orissa border.
The guerrilla attack has stunned the police department as it is the first Maoist ambush in Raipur district, along the state’s border with Orissa. The Maoist violence was till now confined mainly to Chhattisgarh’s southern tip of Bastar region.
Additional Director General of Police Giridhari Nayak said that Maoists ambushed the 10-member police search squad, led by Additional Superintendent of Police Rajesh Pawar, when they were returning in a tractor to Gariaband in Raipur district from the Orissa border.
“The police team had gone to the Orissa border in a Bolero vehicle after they received information that two Maoists had surrendered, but the vehicle developed some technical snag and the police team hired a tractor,” he said.
- Nine Chhattisgarh policemen killed in Maoist ambush (Second Lead) - May 24, 2011
- 10 policemen missing after Maoist ambush in Chhattisgarh - May 24, 2011
- Chhattisgarh's wounded cop found a week after Maoist ambush - May 30, 2011
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Maoists attack Chhattisgarh police station, no casualty (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Chhattisgarh plans anti-Maoist drive along Orissa border - Jun 07, 2011
- Maoist base destroyed in Chhattisgarh - Aug 28, 2012
- Chhattisgarh cops in gun-battle with Maoists (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Lone surviving cop of Maoist attack seeks revenge - Jun 06, 2011
- Maoist violence down, says Chidambaram - Jun 14, 2011
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Maoists attack police station in Chhattisgarh - Jun 13, 2011
- Four killed as Chhattisgarh Congress chief's convoy ambushed - Jul 21, 2011
- Two 50-kg landmines recovered in Chhattisgarh - May 22, 2011
- Maoist attack: Who asked Chhattisgarh cops to enter Orissa? - May 27, 2011
Tags: director general, forested area, guerrilla attack, maoist, maoists, missing since monday, monday afternoon, morning police, nayak, orissa, pawar, police department, police search, police team, policeman, policemen, search operations, southern tip, technical snag, tuesday morning