Chhattisgarh cop suspended for youth’s custodial deathFebruary 22nd, 2012 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Feb 22 (IANS) Chhattisgarh Police Wednesday suspended a police station chief in Raipur district, a day after an initial post-mortem report backed a poor man’s allegations that his son was mercilessly beaten up in police custody.The post-mortem conducted at Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar Government Hospital here mentioned “recent internal injuries as the prime reasons for death of Santosh Daharia”.
Santosh, 25, was arrested Feb 14 by policemen of Kharora police station, some 30 km from here, on charges of kidnapping a girl and died in custody Feb 19.
“The police in-incharge of Kharora police station, P.K. Pathak, has been suspended,” Dipanshu Kabra, senior superintendent of police (Raipur), told reporters.
Kabra said he has recommended a departmental inquiry into the matter.
Raipur district collector Rohit Yadav has also ordered a magisterial inquiry into the allegations of the family of the deceased that the police applied third-degree methods against the youth which finally claimed his life.
Sub-divisional magistrate S.K. Agrawal has been asked to conduct the probe and submit his report within a month.
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for custody death (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Custodial death victim died of internal injuries: Autopsy - Feb 22, 2012
- Chhattisgarh Police face another charge of custodial death - Feb 20, 2012
- Official linked to 220 bank accounts reinstated (Lead) - Jun 04, 2010
- Two engineering students held for rape - Feb 17, 2011
- Eight killed in Chhattisgarh van-truck collision - May 11, 2011
- BJP legislator sent to 14 days custody (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Police misinterpreted girl's autopsy: Suspended doctor - Jun 15, 2011
- Protest in Chhattisgarh capital against toll plaza - Jan 11, 2012
- Suspended officer with 220 bank accounts reinstated - Jun 04, 2010
- Five cops suspended for custodial death - Jan 07, 2011
- Five Bihar police officials suspended for custodial death - Sep 13, 2011
- Four Uttar Pradesh cops suspended - Sep 30, 2011
- Four held for Chhattisgarh blast - Nov 09, 2010
- Noida sisters had no financial problems: Police - Apr 14, 2011
Tags: agrawal, bhimrao ambedkar, custodial death, government hospital, incharge, initial post, internal injuries, magisterial inquiry, magistrate, pathak, police custody, police station, policemen, poor man, post mortem report, prime reasons, rohit, station chief, third degree, yadav