Chhattisgarh cautions families looking for NRI groomsOctober 6th, 2008 - 2:44 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Oct 6 (IANS) The Chhattisgarh government has cautioned families opting to marry their girls with Non-Resident Indian grooms and asked them to collect details about family background and other vital aspects before tying the knot.In a circular issued to district collectors by the Directorate of Women and Child Development, the government said: “Keeping in view the growing cases of marriages by NRI persons through cheating with Indian girls, people are advised to be extremely cautious while entering into wedlock”.
The circular issued late last week has directed collectors of all the 18 districts to “brief people about legal aspects regarding marriages with NRI persons and also ensure its publicity through women awareness camps, women self-help groups and non-government organisations (NGOs) so that people can’t fall prey to NRI marriages”.
Officials said the government issued the circular after rising cases of divorce and other problems faced by brides and their family members were reported across the country.
The circular added that “since the grooms are based outside the country the NRI marriages victim families normally fail to get justice”.
Officials claimed that besides collectors, several district level officials have also been asked to rush immediate counselling to families keen for NRI grooms so that they move further only after collecting all the required details and family background.
- Punjab's passport office to keep check on 'holiday marriages' - Feb 07, 2011
- Booklets provide guidance to women dumped by NRI spouses - Feb 03, 2012
- Goa sets up panel against fake recruitment agents - Sep 12, 2011
- Rajasthan cracks down on child marriages - Mar 31, 2012
- Punjab's runaway NRI grooms lose passports - Jul 06, 2011
- Punjab NRI panel asks police to trace runaway husband - May 16, 2012
- Meghalaya's married job seekers need to give wedlock proof - Aug 08, 2011
- He begs - to help impoverished women marry - Nov 28, 2010
- Punjab to set up panel for NRIs - Jun 24, 2011
- 38 couples tie the knot at inter-caste mass wedding in Agra - Jun 10, 2012
- Mysterious person stopped minor's wedding in Tamil Nadu - Sep 06, 2010
- China wants openness in government affairs - Aug 03, 2011
- What happened to Bhopal's housing scheme, ask NRIs - Feb 22, 2011
- Indian art collectors' space getting new look - Jan 29, 2012
- Engineering student killed for having affair - Nov 24, 2011