Chhattisgarh BJP office declared polling booth!November 3rd, 2008 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Nov 3 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) members in Chhattisgarh were in for a surprise when they realised that their party office in Raipur district (urban) had been mistakenly declared a polling centre for the forthcoming elections. The BJP district office is based in Kirorimal Dharmshala and is located under the Raipur city (west) seat. And according to election officials, about 250 voters are listed for polling in the Kirorimal Dharmshala booth.
The party office bearers were indeed taken aback to know that their office had become a polling booth for the Nov 20 elections.
“I recently came to know that the district BJP office is now a polling booth, I have registered a written protest with the concerned election officials,” state Industry Minister Rajesh Munat, who is the ruling BJP’s candidate for the seat, told IANS.
“The Dharmshala in Janwahar Nagar area houses the BJP office and also housed the office of the erstwhile Jan Sangh since 1952. Besides, it has the offices of various affiliates such as the Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh,” Munat added.
He said that he would have his election campaign office in the same building.
Officials at the district election office have begun the process to shift the polling booth from the office and find out how a party office was declared a polling centre in the first place.
Chhattisgarh’s 39 seats go to polls Nov 14 and the remaining 51 on Nov 20. The state Election Commission has set up 20,952 polling stations in the state where 15,207,734 voters are eligible to exercise their franchise.
- Poll panel removes Chhattisgarh cop - Nov 05, 2008
- Filing of nominations begin for second phase in Chhattisgarh - Oct 27, 2008
- Chhattisgarh BJP candidates want Sidhu as campaigner - Nov 02, 2008
- Bastar votes in by-poll amid Maoist firing (Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Poll body orders transfer of Chhattisgarh official - Oct 17, 2008
- In Maoist bastion of Bastar, 200 polling booths relocated - Apr 28, 2011
- Bastar records 40 percent polling amid Maoist blasts, firing (Second Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Early poll dates take Chhattisgarh politicians by surprise - Oct 14, 2008
- Filing of nomination for assembly poll begins in Chhattisgarh - Oct 20, 2008
- Polling underway for Chhattisgarh assembly seat - Feb 14, 2011
- Poll body orders transfer of official in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Oct 17, 2008
- Voting begins for second phase of Bihar polls (Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
- Maoist violence in Bihar as polling under way - Oct 24, 2010
- Bypoll in Chhhattisgarh begins on dull note - Oct 01, 2010
- Bastar is ours, say both BJP and Congress - May 10, 2011