Chennai to be made world class city, says ministerAugust 22nd, 2008 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 22 (IANS) The Tamil Nadu government is committed to developing Chennai as a world class city with matching infrastructure and living standards, a state government minister said here Friday. “My ministry would take all necessary steps to make Chennai a happening place in the world with respect to infrastructure and other long term planning,” said the state’s Information Minister Parithi Ellamvazhuthi.
He was addressing the Chennai Version 3.0, a conference organised by industry lobby Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) to mark the 369th anniversary of Chennai’s formation.
Speaking on the occasion, R. Sellamuthu, principal secretary, housing and urban department, Tamil Nadu government said that public-private partnership was the key to infrastructure development in the state.
He said that the Government of Tamil Nadu would spend Rs.500 billion in the next 10 years for several infrastructure projects including Metro Rail, elevated express highways and connectivity roads.
“Chennai Version 3.0 aspires to take up the challenge of eradicating illiteracy, unemployment and poverty in the city by 2025,” said G.R.K. Reddy, chairman of CII Chennai Zone.
“The goal is to develop Chennai into a new metropolis which is peaceful and safe, eco-sensitive and modern, yet culturally conscious,” he said.
He said that it is time for the public and private sectors to join hands and come together with a view to make Chennai a source of global innovations - new businesses, new technologies and new business models.
Stressing the importance of inclusive and balanced development engaging people in the lower strata of the society, Kanimozhi, MP, said corporate social responsibility should focus more on providing education and better healthcare for the underprivileged youth.
- Tamil Nadu to set up Infrastructure Development Board - Jan 31, 2012
- Ex-police chief to head Tamil Nadu public service panel - Jan 21, 2012
- Target middle, lower class, Jaipal Reddy tells housing industry - Dec 19, 2008
- Tamil Nadu service panel officials raided for graft - Jan 13, 2012
- Premises of Tamil Nadu officials raided - Oct 14, 2011
- Tamil Nadu to come out with vision document - Jul 05, 2011
- Tamil Nadu seeks private investment in tourism sector - Aug 04, 2011
- Kanimozhi, four others get bail, Karunanidhi beams (Roundup) - Nov 28, 2011
- Japanese firms to increase investment in Tamil Nadu - Jan 25, 2012
- Karunanidhi to launch new integrated skill development scheme - Oct 07, 2010
- Raise depreciation rate to boost investment: CII - Feb 26, 2012
- Southern states lagging in growth: CII - Jun 16, 2011
- Tamil Nadu's new solar energy policy to add 3,000 MW - Mar 12, 2012
- Will take legal action to establish truth in 2G case: DMK (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- May consider central security for Mullaperiyar Dam: PM (Lead) - Dec 26, 2011