Chennai Port signs pact with Canadian portJanuary 28th, 2009 - 4:42 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 28 (IANS) Chennai Port and Canada’s Port of Halifax have signed an agreement for cooperation in port management activities, it was announced here Wednesday. “The MOU (memorandum of understanding) will enable sharing of knowledge in managing ports and terminals,” Chennai Port chairman K. Suresh told reporters.
According to Halifax Port chief executive and president Karen Oldfield, the pact is the first one it had signed with a South East Asian port.
Oldfield said 35 percent of the Canadian port’s traffic is from South East Asia, and nearly a third of that is from India.
Agreeing that the global economic downturn has affected the port business, she said traffic from South East Asian countries has nonetheless gone up.
The container terminal at Halifax Port handles around 1.5 million TEU (twenty-foot equivalent units) and has the capacity to handle 2.5 million TEUs.
- Shanghai port is world's busiest - Dec 24, 2011
- Chinese firms bid for $500 mn project in Sri Lanka - Nov 23, 2011
- Mitsui shipping to double business in India - May 17, 2011
- Prime Minister to inaugurate Vallarpadam container terminal on February 11 - Feb 06, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to dedicate new Kerala port to nation on Feb.11 - Feb 07, 2011
- DP World may pull out of Kulpi project in Bengal - May 19, 2010
- Manmohan Singh to inaugurate Kochi international container terminal tomorrow - Feb 10, 2011
- PM to inaugurate Kochi international container terminal - Feb 11, 2011
- Mega container terminal for Chennai port approved - Oct 12, 2010
- BHEL upbeat about overseas market - Aug 11, 2012
- Kolkata dock handles record container traffic in July - Aug 05, 2009
- Cochin Port registers record cargo throughput - Apr 19, 2010
- SCI to build country's largest container terminals - Jul 24, 2008
- Kochi connected to China via weekly cargo vessel - Dec 19, 2011
- List of India-Bangladesh pacts signed Tuesday - Sep 06, 2011