Chennai lawyers arrested, released on bailApril 10th, 2009 - 1:08 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, April 10 (IANS) Two lawyers were arrested in the early hours of Friday and immediately released on bail on charges of insulting national leaders, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, and assaulting Janata Party president Subramaniam Swamy in February.
A. Kayalvizhi and R. Shiva Sankaran were produced at the residence of a magistrate and got bail immediately, a police official said.
They were part of the lawyers’ protest in February over the central government allegedly collaborating with Colombo against ethnic minority Tamils in Sri Lanka. The protests included an assault on Swamy and tearing pictures of the prime minister, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse.
On Feb 19, the police and lawyers clashed in the Madras High Court, resulting in the burning down of a police station within the complex and destruction of public property.
Lawyers struck work and demanded the suspension of Chennai Police Commissioner K. Radhakrishnan and Director General of Police K.P. Jain. Lawyers had returned to work after a month-long strike following the high court ordering the suspension of the senior police officials three weeks ago.
The officials are yet to be suspended by the government.
- Chennai lawyers arrested, released on bail (Lead) - Apr 10, 2009
- Subramanian Swamy wants central forces deployed in Tamil Nadu - Apr 10, 2009
- Seek release of Indian advocate held in Sri Lanka: Vaiko - Jan 21, 2011
- Tamil Nadu Lawyers return to work after month-long strike - Mar 23, 2009
- Police case against 30 Tamil Nadu lawyers - Apr 08, 2009
- Police, lawyers clash outside Madras High Court (Lead) - Feb 20, 2009
- 175 Sri Lankan tourists to return following protests (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Chennai lawyers, police give their versions to probe panel (Lead) - Feb 28, 2009
- Lawyers show black flags to Karunanidhi - Apr 25, 2010
- Curtail visits by Sri Lankan dignitaries: Jayalalithaa - Mar 07, 2012
- Probe begins into clash between police, lawyers in Chennai - Feb 28, 2009
- Raja's release may dilute 2G case: Jayalalithaa - May 15, 2012
- Tamil Nadu lawyers suspend month-long strike - Mar 20, 2009
- Two top Chennai policemen suspended over attack on lawyers (Lead) - Mar 19, 2009
- Sri Lankan president's kin attacked in Tamil Nadu - Jan 10, 2012