Chelsea’s Drogba gets three-match banNovember 19th, 2008 - 2:01 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 19 (DPA) Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has received a three-match ban for throwing a coin into the crowd in a Carling Cup match last week.The 30-year-old picked up a coin that had been thrown at him from a section of the Burnley fans and hurled it back into the crowd. After the match, which Chelsea lost, Drogba admitted an Football Association (FA) charge of violent conduct.
“Players should be able to play football without fearing for their personal safety,” an FA spokesman said Tuesday.
“It is totally unacceptable for players to be put in danger by supporters throwing missiles onto the pitch. The FA wants anyone found guilty of throwing missiles to face the strongest possible action. That includes life bans from attending football matches.”
Drogba’s ban matches the three-match suspension given to Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher for a similar offence in 2002.
- Drogba to visit India in June - May 22, 2012
- Carroll will be better than Drogba, says Joe Cole - Mar 31, 2011
- Won't play for another English club: Drogba - May 23, 2012
- Drogba confirms Chelsea exit - May 22, 2012
- Luis Suarez charged by FA for racial abuse - Nov 17, 2011
- Adebayor, Terry call for goal-line technology - Apr 16, 2012
- Drogba makes immediate impact in China - Jul 23, 2012
- Drogba asks Torres to consider joining Chelsea - May 13, 2010
- Rooney kept out of England squad for Spain, Sweden friendlies - Nov 07, 2011
- Banned defender Bromby to join fans for United clash - Dec 31, 2009
- Redknapp ready to snare Chelsea striker Drogba for Tottenham if available - Apr 23, 2011
- Injured Man U star Nani ruled out for three games - Mar 08, 2011
- Chelsea reach Champions League quarters after thrilling win - Mar 15, 2012
- Liverpool striker Suarez banned for 8 games - Dec 21, 2011
- Terry facing criminal charges over alleged racial slurs - Dec 22, 2011