Chelsea midfielder Essien could miss seasonSeptember 10th, 2008 - 12:55 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 10 (DPA) Chelsea confirmed that midfielder Michael Essien will be sidelined for several months after rupturing a knee ligament.The midfielder will have surgery next week after getting injured while playing for Ghana against Libya last Saturday.
“He has ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament and will undergo an operation as soon as the majority of the swelling has subsided,” said a club statement here Tuesday.
“We expect this to happen in a week’s time. In the meantime, Michael has started rehab in the aqua therapy centre at Cobham, which will improve the condition of the knee prior to surgery.
“A return to full fitness is not expected for several months.”
With John Obi Mikel and Michael Ballack also injured, Chelsea are short of midfield options.
- Chelsea's John Mikel Obi ruled out for a month due to knee injury - Jan 01, 2011
- Nigeria's Mikel out of World Cup - Jun 05, 2010
- Liverpool midfielder Lucas ruled out for season - Dec 02, 2011
- Mourinho plans 50 million pound Chelsea raid for Real Madrid - May 26, 2010
- Injured Rossi out of Euro 2012 - Apr 14, 2012
- Richard Branson injures knee in skiing accident - Jan 14, 2011
- Cup absentees: Ronaldinho sulks, Ballack on holiday - Jun 11, 2010
- Ghana midfielder Michael Essien ruled out of World Cup through injury - May 28, 2010
- I-League: Subrata Paul ruled out for three months - Oct 20, 2011
- Chelsea must get tough to win Premier League title: Mikel - Nov 27, 2010
- Branson's stint as stewardess put on hold after he injures his knee - Jan 15, 2011
- Michael Essien named 'Lance' for driving pushbike instead of his Lamborghini - Aug 15, 2010
- Conditions right for Chelsea to try for Champions League glory: Ancelotti - Sep 14, 2009
- Chelsea's Lampard could be out for two months after England training knock - Nov 13, 2009
- Former Liverpool defender Aurelio out with injury - Jul 01, 2012