Chelsea end Manchester City’s unbeaten runDecember 13th, 2011 - 6:06 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 13 (IANS) Chelsea kept their title hopes alive as they put an end to Manchester City’s unbeaten run in the English Premier League, defeating them 2-1 at home.
Chelsea went into the match having failed to win a single match against the so-called ‘Big-Four’.
The Blues had the worst possible start to the game with the mercurial Italian, Mario Balotelli putting the visitors in front after 2 minutes. A brilliant through ball from Sergio Aguero found the Italian who rounded Chelsea’s keeper Petr Cech and coolly slotted home.
Chelsea showed great resolve as they came under immense pressure from the marauding Manchester team in the first 15 minutes. Having weathered the storm, the Blues showed their metal by pulling one back thanks to some nifty footwork from Daniel Sturridge who’s grounded cross found Raul Meireles in front of goal in the 34th minute.
Both teams looked at par in the initial stages of the second half, but the sending off of Gael Clichy turned the game on its head. Chelsea pushed men forward as Manchester City had trouble getting out of their own half, but some gritty defending by captain Vincent Kompany kept the hosts at bay till Sturridge’s shot struck defender Joleon Lescott’s hands in the box.
Club legend Frank Lampard who had come on as a substitute smashed the penalty straight down the middle to give Chelsea a memorable win in front of home fans.
This victory takes the Blues into the third spot while Manchester City are now only 2 points ahead of neighbours Manchester United.
- Manchester City draw Liverpool to maintain lead in EPL - Nov 28, 2011
- Rooney kept out of England squad for Spain, Sweden friendlies - Nov 07, 2011
- Chelsea stun Barcelona at home in Champions League - Apr 19, 2012
- City go top after beating United - May 01, 2012
- France played much better than England, says Evra - Jun 12, 2012
- Chelsea goalie Cech fears Liverpool blunder could cost club Premier League title - Feb 10, 2011
- Ronaldo heads Portugal to semifinal at Euro Cup (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- I will take a penalty if needed: Hart - Jun 22, 2012
- Valiant Chelsea knock Barca out, reach Champions League final - Apr 25, 2012
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Sturridge subjected to racial chants in Napoli - Feb 21, 2012
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Chelsea reach Champions League quarters after thrilling win - Mar 15, 2012
- Liverpool edge out City in Carling Cup - Jan 12, 2012
- Carroll may start against France in Euro 2012 - May 30, 2012
Tags: 15 minutes, aguero, cech, clichy, daniel sturridge, english premier league, footwork, frank lampard, home fans, immense pressure, initial stages, manchester city, manchester team, manchester united, meireles, neighbours, raul, second half, single match, vincent kompany