Chelsea boss hints at summer overhaulFebruary 18th, 2012 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 18 (IANS) Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas says he will sell the under-performing players this summer after some senior stars questioned his strategy and training methods at a stormy team meeting earlier in the week.
The club’s Russian owner Roman Abramovich met the players and the coaching staff at the Cobham training ground after a lacklustre 0-2 loss away at Everton in the English Premier League.
“Two players have already left and there will be further departures in the future. Contacts will have to be addressed and changes will be made,” Villas-Boas was quoted as saying by The Sun.
“We have to defend the Chelsea badge, because they don’t pay us to be a failure and everybody understands the demands to be successful at this club,” he said.
“You don’t contemplate rewarding people who under-perform in any football team and our objective now is to get the best possible position in the Premier League and continue to fight for two trophies.”
Villas-Boas, who took Portuguese club FC Porto to UEFA Europa League trophy last season, came under heavy criticism from some of his senior players. They are said to have questioned his training methods.
“If the players want to be part of this club’s future, they have to support the project with their performance. If some of them don’t support me, that’s normal,” said the coach.
Chelsea are still in with a chance to win two trophies. The London club play Italian outfit Napoli in the last-16 of the Champions League while they face a stern test against Birmingham City in the fifth round of the FA Cup.
- Former Chelsea boss Villas-Boas in talks with Sao Paulo - Jun 09, 2012
- Chelsea manager Villas-Boas gets the sack - Mar 04, 2012
- Villas-Boas appointed Tottenham manager - Jul 03, 2012
- Chelsea eye Torres swap deal - Feb 17, 2012
- Villas-Boas rejects offer to coach Sao Paulo - Jun 27, 2012
- Di Matteo appointed permanent Chelsea coach - Jun 14, 2012
- Villas-Boas insists he won't be fired by Abramovich - Nov 21, 2011
- City will be a thorn in our flesh: Ferguson - Jul 19, 2011
- Villas-Boas vows to guide Chelsea to Champions League triumph - Jul 20, 2011
- Lukaku contemplating loan move away from Chelsea - Mar 02, 2012
- Defoe extends contract with Tottenham till 2015 - Aug 31, 2012
- Tottenham eyes bid for Brazil midfielder Ganso - Sep 09, 2012
- Brazil starlet reveals Tottenham approach - Jul 07, 2012
- Ancelotti says feeling the heat to save his Blues job - Dec 06, 2010
- QPR's Ferdinand gets a bullet by post - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: birmingham city, boss, champions league, departures, english premier league, everton, fa cup, fc porto, football team, italian outfit, league trophy, london club, london feb, napoli, owner roman abramovich, portuguese club, stern test, trophies, uefa, villas boas