Cheers as Rajasthan celebrates R-DayJanuary 26th, 2012 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Jan 26 (IANS) More than 5,000 people packed into the Sawai Man Singh (SMS) Stadium here Thursday to watch Rajasthan Governor Shivraj Patil hoist the tricolour to mark the 63rd Republic Day celebrations.
Patil took salute and inspected the guard of honour from the marching contingents amidst cheers and thunderous applause from the spectators.
Personnel from the Rajasthan Armed Constabulary (RAC), Rajasthan Police, government railway police (GRP), home guards, NCC cadets and defence forces besides school children participated in the parade.
After the parade, school children and more than 200 artists performed folk dances, and some set to patriotic songs.
Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, some of his cabinet colleagues and senior officials were present on the occasion.
On the occasion, the governor honoured 43 officers, employees, police personnel and players for distinguished and meritorious services.
In his address to the people, Gehlot called upon citizens to respect the constitution and participate in the development of the nation.
“We should together fight the several challenges faced by the country, including terrorism, casteism and Naxalism,” he said.
- Uttar Pradesh celebrates R-Day with patriotic zeal - Jan 26, 2011
- Karnataka celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Policemen honoured in Uttar Pradesh on R-Day - Jan 26, 2010
- Karnataka governor calls for probity on R-Day (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Punjab celebrates 62nd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh celebrates 63rd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Karnataka celebrates Independence Day (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Pomp, pageantry mark Republic Day in Karnataka (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Karnataka celebrates Independence Day - Aug 15, 2012
- Pomp and pageantry mark R-Day celebration in Bangalore - Jan 26, 2010
- Karnataka governor hoists tricolour - Jan 26, 2011
- Pageantry, national spirit mark R-Day fete in Karnataka (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Patriotic fervour marks I-Day celebrations in Andhra - Aug 15, 2012
- Chandigarh, neighbouring states celebrate I-Day - Aug 15, 2010
- I-Day: PM to unfurl national flag at Red Fort - Aug 14, 2011
Tags: ashok, cabinet colleagues, cadets, casteism, chief minister, constabulary, defence forces, folk dances, guard of honour, jaipur, man singh, meritorious services, patriotic songs, railway police, rajasthan, republic day, senior officials, spectators, thunderous applause, tricolour