Cheating case filed against realty firm

April 25th, 2009 - 12:07 am ICT by IANS  

Ghaziabad, April 24 (IANS) The Ghaziabad police have registered a case of cheating and fraud against a real estate developer for failing to provide a customer a flat within the stipulated time and then refunding, through post-dated cheques encashable only in 2011, the money he had paid.
The Kavi Nagar police registered a case of fraud against Triveni Infrastructure Development Company under sections 420, 467 and 468 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) for failing to allotment a flat to Chakram Singh in its Triveni Heights project on the National Highway-24 near Dasna.

Singh said he had booked a 1,600 sq. ft flat in September 2006, for which he paid Rs. 3.50 lakhs (Rs.350,000) towards registration. Under the agreement with the firm, it undertook to provide 10 percent interest on the registration amount if allotment was not made within eight months.

Furthermore, if the allotment was not made within 12 months, the company promised to refund the amount, along with 10 percent interest, he added.

However, in June 2007, the company demanded another Rs.3 lakhs (Rs.300,000) for adding “world class features”, Singh said, adding he had paid the money in July, 2007.

According to Singh, from July 2007 to December 15, 2008, the company’s website claimed construction was on in full swing at the site and the building plans had been approved by the Ghaziabad Development Authority (GDA).

At the project site, however, there was no construction at all, except for some minor digging work here and there, he added.

Singh said during this period, he kept on meeting the company’s managing director, general manager and several other senior executives but alleged they shrugged him off and also misbehaved with him.

Singh said when he sought a refund so he could pay for his mother’s treatment, he was asked to submit an affidavit and surrender the interest amount, to which he agreed. However, it was only after two months that he received four post-dated cheques - three of Rs.2 lakhs (Rs.200,000) each and one of Rs. 50,000, dated June, July, August and September 2011.

Singh also sent a court notice to the builder on March 30, 2009, but was yet to receive a reply.

When contacted, a senior executive of the company said: “We tried to finish the project on time. There were some delays due to the tough financial position.” He also said that they had paid back Singh’s money.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |