Chawla spell gives BP XI advantage against AustraliaOctober 4th, 2008 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Oct 4 (IANS) Board President’s XI reached a commanding position with an overall lead of 251 runs after Piyush Chawla’s five-wicket haul saw Australia being bowled out for 314 in their first inings on the third day of the four-day practice match here Saturday.The home side were 110 for two with Wasim Jaffer (46) and skipper Yuvraj Singh (37) occupying the crease at stumps on day three of the four-day practice match, after having made 455 in their first innings.
The Australians lost five wickets for 27 runs in the morning session Saturday before Michael Hussey (126 not out) and Stuart Clark (44) frustrated Indian bowlers with a 96-run partnership for the last wicket, which also saved the follow-on.
Chawla (5-89) and Pragyan Ojha (3-72) ran through the batting order but could not separate the last pair that played 40 overs in the morning.
Hussey, who will be playing his first Test series in India, showed excellent footwork and technique in tackling the spinners. His innings had 14 boundaries and one six.
Clark, on the other hand, played second fiddle to perfection as he used his height to play on the front foot on a slowing pitch. He even struck Chawla and Ojha for straight sixes after getting a hang of their bowling.
The home side got off to a bad start in their second essay, with Aakash Chopra trapped lbw by Clark in the sixth over. Subramaniam Badrinath flopped once again and was snared by Brett Lee.
Jaffer and Yuvraj then set out to rebuild the innings with a 75 run stand.
- Rest in unbeatable position against Rajasthan - Oct 04, 2011
- India bowl out New Zealand for 159 at lunch - Aug 25, 2012
- Sudhindra's seven-wicket haul puts Madhya Pradesh on top - Dec 15, 2011
- Clarke praises team for win over Sri Lanka - Aug 21, 2011
- West Indies battling to save match, series - Nov 16, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Delhi take slender lead against MP - Dec 07, 2011
- Ashwin for enforcing follow-on after early wrap-up - Aug 24, 2012
- First Test evenly poised as 15 wickets fall on third day (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Heavy rains halt play in first Test (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Ojha in search of five-wicket haul - Aug 25, 2012
- India tightens noose on New Zealand at lunch (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- India tighten noose on Kiwis, rain curtails third day's play (Second Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- India struggling against West Indies in first Test (Tea report) - Nov 07, 2011
- Clarke, Hussey grind India (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Australia declare at 505/8, BP XI tottering at 143/6 - Sep 26, 2010