Chavez will die of cancer in a few months: ReportJune 4th, 2012 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 4 (IANS) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez’s battle with cancer has entered its last stage, and the 57-year-old leader is not expected to live more than a few months, a media report said Monday.
According to Spanish newspaper ABC, the South American leader is now taking an opiate “100 times stronger than morphine” to relieve the severe pain and the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation.
The drugs are so potent that “at any moment his body will not be able to tolerate them”, the doctors treating him were quoted as saying by the Daily Mail.
Chavez is seeking re-election for a third time and registered his candidacy last week at the National Electoral Council.
But sources said it was doubtful he will live to see the results Oct 7.
The medical report, seen by the Spanish newspaper, said Chavez was also suffering from rhabdomyosarcoma, a cancerous tumour of the muscles attached to the bones.
Along with painkiller fentanyl, doctors have also prescribed bisphosphonate to combat the spread and corticosteroids to alleviate the side effects of radiation and chemotherapy.
The treatment is aimed at combating the spread of cancer, not eradicating it, the report said.
Earlier reports said Chavez was making a “progressive recovery” after undergoing cancer treatment in Cuba.
Chavez has not released any details about the nature of his disease, saying only that it was in his pelvic region.
He recently said the US may be infecting Latin American leaders with cancer after the presidents of Brazil, Paraguay and Argentina were struck down with the disease.
- Chavez in 'good health' after treatment - Jun 10, 2012
- Chavez's former doctor flees Venezuela - Oct 22, 2011
- Chavez back in Cuba for cancer treatment - Mar 26, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for cancer treatment - Apr 09, 2012
- Chavez in Cuba for another round of cancer treatment - Apr 16, 2012
- Chavez in good physical condition after operation: Venezuela - Feb 29, 2012
- Venezuelan president has just one year to live - Jan 24, 2012
- Chavez says he's free of cancer - Oct 21, 2011
- Fidel Castro meets cancer-stricken Hugo Chavez - Mar 03, 2012
- Chavez to return to Venezuela this week - Apr 24, 2012
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
- Chavez says tumour was malignant - Mar 05, 2012
- Chavez says his progress is favourable - Mar 13, 2012
- Chavez back in Cuba for more surgery - Feb 26, 2012
- US calls Chavez cancer comment horrific - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,