Chavez offer base for Russian strategic bombersMarch 15th, 2009 - 12:32 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 14 (RIA Novosti) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has offered Russia the use of an island of his country for temporary hosting of Russian long-range aviation, an air force official said Saturday.
“Chavez proposed to us a whole island with an airfield that we can use for temporary basing of strategic bombers,” said Major General Anatoly Zhikharev, the chief of Russia’s long-range aviation staff.
“If there is the relevant political decision, the island … could be used by the Russian Air Force,” Zhikharev told journalists.
He said the temporary basing opportunity could be used for air patrol missions.
In September 2008, two Russian Tu-160 Blackjack multi-mission strategic bombers arrived in Venezuela after a 13-hour flight over the Arctic and Atlantic oceans. There were no nuclear weapons on board the aircraft. After that, they carried out a patrol mission over the Caribbean.
The Tu-160 Blackjack is a supersonic, variable-geometry heavy bomber, designed to strike strategic targets with nuclear and conventional weapons deep in continental theaters of operation.
- Russia could deploy unmanned bomber after 2040 - Aug 03, 2012
- Russian deputy PM backs hypersonic bomber - Aug 27, 2012
- Putin pledges 400 ICBMs for Russia in 10 years - Feb 20, 2012
- Putin calls for new long-range bomber and UAVs - Jun 15, 2012
- Russian bombers to leave Venezuela mid-September - Sep 12, 2008
- Medvedev orders to build new aircraft plant - Jun 10, 2012
- Russian strategic bombers land in Venezuela - Sep 11, 2008
- Russia to build fifth-generation bombers - Jun 09, 2012
- Russia may boost nuclear potential: Minister - Feb 06, 2012
- Spy plane acquired from US to be based in Tamil Nadu - Apr 20, 2009
- Russian Jets Spotted In Scotland Sky And Escorted Out - Mar 26, 2010
- World media looks at Indian missile through China prism - Apr 20, 2012
- Russian inspectors begin surveillance flight over US - Apr 08, 2012
- Russia could deploy bombers in Latin America, North Africa: report - Jul 24, 2008
- Russia to sell missile systems to Belarus - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: anatoly, atlantic oceans, blackjack, conventional weapons, heavy bomber, hugo chavez, journalists, moscow, nuclear weapons, patrol missions, political decision, president hugo chavez, ria novosti, russian air force, russian strategic bombers, theaters, tu 160 blackjack, variable geometry, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez