Chavez hails Raul CastroFebruary 25th, 2008 - 4:58 pm ICT by admin
Caracas, Feb 25 (Prensa Latina) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has hailed the election of Raul Castro as president of Cuba and described him as one of the authors of the Cuban Revolution of 1959. Chavez was speaking Sunday during his weekly “Alo Presidente” television programme.
The leftist president of Venezuela said his new Cuban counterpart has been an inseparable partner of his brother Fidel Castro since the days of Moncada and the Sierra Maestra, the two most important name in the history of the country’s socialist revolution.
The Cuban revolution began with the failed attack by the rebels on the Moncada army barracks, in which most of the leaders were killed or arrested by the then dictator Fulgencio Batista. The rebels then retreated to the Sierra Maestra mountains to regroup themselves for the second wave of attack that unseated Batista.
“Raul has always been there, in silence but actively working, faithful to the revolution, to the Cuban people and to Fidel,” Chavez said.
He pointed out that the Venezuelan revolution owes many thanks to Fidel Castro, Raul and the Cuban people.
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Fidel Castro meets cancer-stricken Hugo Chavez - Mar 03, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Venezuela president goes for last chemotherapy session - Sep 18, 2011
- Raul Castro hints at easing of Cuba's migration policy - Aug 02, 2011
- Cuban TV runs series on attempts to kill Castro - Mar 09, 2010
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
- Fidel Castro releases two-volume memoir - Feb 05, 2012
- Fidel Castro releases his book 'The Strategic Victory' - Aug 03, 2010
- Cancer once made Chavez consider leaving politics - Sep 05, 2012
- Chavez attacks Hillary for 'threatening' Russia, China - Jul 10, 2012
- Chavez back in Cuba for more surgery - Feb 26, 2012
- Ailing Chavez returns to Venezuela - Jul 05, 2011
- Castro to release first volume of memoirs in August - Jul 28, 2010
- Socialism can't resolve all ills: Fidel Castro (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012