Chavan meets PM on Ambedkar memorial, farmersDecember 9th, 2011 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 9 (IANS) Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan Friday called on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and discussed two critical issues confronting Maharashtra — remuneration for farmers and the allotment of land in Mumbai for a memorial to B.R. Ambedkar.
The Ambedkar memorial issue has snowballed into a controversy with Republican Sena activists laying siege inside the Indu Mill at Dadar here since Tuesday.
The activists, including Buddhist monks, led by Anandraj Ambedkar, grandson of B.R. Ambedkar, have refused to vacate the premises till the government allows the much-delayed memorial at the site.
“The state government had written to the centre Aug 8 on the issue as we are very keen to construct an Ambedkar memorial on the site,” Chavan said.
He urged Manmohan Singh to expedite the matter since the mill hand belongs to the central government.
Regarding the issue of suitable remuneration for cotton, soyabean and other cash crops for farmers, Chavan said he would discuss the issue with the state cabinet and take a decision.
But the state needed the guidance of the centre and so he apprised the prime minister in detail.
- Chavan demands land for Ambedkar memorial - Dec 20, 2011
- Dalit party threat to recapture Indu Mills land - Mar 06, 2012
- Chavan to meet PM on Ambedkar memorial, boundary row - Dec 29, 2011
- Ambedkar Jayanti celebrated; Dalits stage sit-in (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- RPI's rail blockade Monday for Ambedkar memorial - Dec 18, 2011
- Land 'captured' for Ambedkar memorial in Mumbai - Dec 06, 2011
- Farmers suicides, Ambedkar memorial set to rock Maharashtra house - Dec 11, 2011
- Land for Ambedkar memorial soon - Mar 30, 2012
- Congress misleading on Ambedkar memorial, Thackeray warns Dalits - Jan 02, 2012
- RPI ransack mill, demand land for Ambedkar memorial - Dec 15, 2011
- Ambedkar memorial work to be speeded up, says PM - Aug 18, 2012
- Chavan meets Sonia on Ambedkar memorial, Belgaum - Dec 30, 2011
- Maharashtra to evict encroachers from mill (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Maharashtra to remove encroachers from mill land - Dec 22, 2011
- RPI demands land for Ambedkar memorial, blocks highway - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: activists, allotment, buddhist monks, cash crops, central government, chief minister, critical issues, dadar, farmers, manmohan, manmohan singh, mumbai, premises, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prithviraj, remuneration, soyabean, state cabinet, state government