Chattisgarh gunfight genuine, sorry if any innocents died: ChidambaramJuly 5th, 2012 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 5 (IANS) Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram Thursday asserted that 17 suspected Maoists were gunned down in Chattisgarh late last month in a “genuine” gunfight, but said that he was “deeply sorry” if any innocent person was killed in the exchange of fire.
“If during the firing some innocent people have been killed we are deeply sorry. It was not our intention to kill anyone who was innocent or kill any child. But it was a case of an encounter where the forces suffered casualties first and returned the fire and inflicted casualties,” Chidambaram told media persons here.
Expressing surprise at allegations that it was a “fake gunfight”, the minister said in the past, security forces were ambushed and suffered heavy casualties as they were taken by surprise and could not return fire.
“The media then said the security forces were incompetent. They were unprepared.. If that is called incompetence, as some people have described it, in a case where they have returned the fire, and inflicted casualties, I am surprised that you call it a fake encounter.”
Chidambaram said it was not being highlighted that the security forces had suffered six casualties and that they were had evacuated by the same helicopter as also their injured adversaries.
He said at least three to four of the 16-17 people who died in the incident had criminal records associated with left wing extremists.
“Prima facie all these facts point to a genuine encounter,” he said.
However, the union minister said it was for the Chattisgarh government to decide whether they would order an inquiry.
“That’s a call the Chaittisgarh chief minister is entitled to take. The DG (director general) of CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force) has told us clearly they have nothing to hide, nothing to fear. His men had suffered six casualties and they returned the fire.”
Security forces had gunned down 17 suspected Maoists at Korsaguda village in Bijapur district of Bastar region, about 600 km south of Raipur, June 28.
While six Central Reserve Police Force troopers were injured in themidnight gunbattle, five injured Maoists were also nabbed in theoperation, but one of them later succumbed to injuries in hospital.
- Government defends Chattisgarh operation, activists seek independent probe (Roundup) - Jul 02, 2012
- Deeply sorry if an innocent was killed: Chidambaram - Jul 04, 2012
- Korsaguda gunfight: Chhattisgarh open to any probe, says CM - Jul 06, 2012
- Congress to raise Chhattisgarh killings in assembly session - Jul 05, 2012
- Mass migration from Chhattisgarh villages after shootout - Jul 07, 2012
- Hizbul Mujahideen militant killed in Kashmir - May 26, 2012
- Korsaguda, Sarkeguda residents refuse government aid - Jul 08, 2012
- Allegations against force stereotypical: CRPF chief - Jul 02, 2012
- Four cops, dozen Maoists killed in Maharashtra gun battles (Second Lead) - May 19, 2011
- Fierce gunfight between Garo rebels, commandos - Jan 28, 2012
- Nine Maoists killed in Jharkhand encounter - Jan 28, 2011
- Gunfight in Kashmir - Sep 01, 2012
- CID begins probe into Kishenji's death - Nov 26, 2011
- Maoist base destroyed in Chhattisgarh - Aug 28, 2012
- GNLA rebels, forces exchange fire in Meghalaya - Mar 02, 2012
Tags: adversaries, chief minister, crpf, dg, director general, distri, fire security, heavy casualties, helicopter, incompetence, innocent person, innocents, maoists, media persons, police force, reserve police, security forces, union home minister, union minister, wing extremists