Charges framed against Dera Sacha Sauda sect chiefSeptember 6th, 2008 - 5:55 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 6 (IANS) A court in Haryana’s Ambala city Saturday framed charges against Dera Sacha Sauda sect chief Gurmit Ram Rahim Singh for the alleged rape of a female religious follower.Gurmit Ram Rahim Singh was present Saturday in the special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court. During the last two hearings, he had not been present.
The court framed charges against the Dera chief under the Indian Penal Code sections dealing with criminal intimidation, rape and outraging the woman’s modesty.
The CBI had submitted its charge sheet against the Dera chief accusing him of rape of a young female religious follower at his sect headquarters campus near Sirsa town in Haryana, 250 km from here.
The sect chief’s lawyer Thursday filed a petition in the Punjab and Haryana High Court in Chandigarh challenging the framing of charges against him in the alleged case of sexual exploitation of a woman follower.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court Thursday dismissed his plea but gave him liberty to raise these issues before the trial court in Ambala.
The sect chief is facing two charges of murder conspiracy, including the murder of Sirsa-based journalist Ram Chander Chhatrapati in Oct 2001 and sect manager Ranjit Singh in July 2002, and one case of rape of a ’sadhvi’ (female religious follower).
The Dera chief has been involved in a major controversy since April last year after he appeared attired like 10th Sikh guru, Gobind Singh.
- CBI court directs Sacha Sauda chief to appear in person - May 21, 2011
- Day-to-day hearing of Dera chief's rape case - Sep 28, 2011
- CBI court's clean chit to Dera chief in murder case - Dec 24, 2010
- Amid tension, Dera congregation is peaceful (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2010
- Over 50 people detained for Punjab, Haryana violence - Feb 28, 2010
- Bus torched in Haryana, uneasy calm prevails - Mar 01, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana inching towards normalcy after violence (Second lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Dera case: Court rejects police cancellation report - Apr 03, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana calm after Dera violence (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Violence in Punjab, Haryana after fresh case against Dera chief (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- CBI court frames murder charges against Dera chief - Dec 12, 2008
- Sacha Sauda followers go on rampage in Punjab, Haryana - Feb 27, 2010
- Punjab turns violent as Dera sect followers torch vehicles, properties - Feb 28, 2010
- Dera chief questioned by Punjab Police for four hours (Lead) - Dec 03, 2008
- Transfer move of Dera chief's cases opposed - Aug 22, 2008