Charges against Vijayan politically motivated: CPI-M (Lead)February 14th, 2009 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 14 (IANS) Corruption charges against Pinarayi Vijayan, Kerala state secretary of the Communist Party of India-Marxist, are politically motivated, the CPI-M politburo said here, rejecting Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan’s demand for action against him.
The politburo had met here to discuss the case of Vijayan, whom the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has named in a charge sheet in a corruption case.
Achutanandan and Vijayan, who are arch-rivals within the state organisation, are also politburo members.
“It is unfortunate that the CBI is not politically immune and works under the influence of the ruling party,” CPI-M general secretary Prakash Karat told reporters after the meeting, hinting at a role of the Congress.
“The CPI-M has consistently held that any person holding public office should step down if they face prosecution by the CBI. This does not apply to Vijayan as he is not a minister or holding any public office. The party will fight the case politically and legally if it comes up in court,” he said.
Vijayan is named in the charge sheet on the irregularities in the contract awarded to Canadian firm SNC Lavalin for renovation of three hydroelectric projects in Kerala in 1997. Vijayan was power minister then.
The decision to go ahead with the SNC Lavalin contract was taken by the CPi-M-led Left Democratic Front (LDF) government headed by E.K. Nayanar after it had been initiated by the earlier Congress-led United Democratic Front (UDF) government, Karat said.
The proposal was discussed by the party’s state secretariat and Vijayan as power minister only implemented the decision, he added.
- Pinarayi Vijayan re-elected to top Kerala CPI-M post - Feb 10, 2012
- Pinarayi Vijayan summoned in Lavalin graft case - Apr 10, 2012
- CPI-M politburo member Pinarayi Vijayan asked to appear in court - Dec 19, 2011
- Make Kerala home minister accused in Lavalin case: Petition - May 05, 2011
- CPI-M removes Achuthanandan from politburo, backs Vijayan (Lead) - Jul 12, 2009
- Reprieve for Vijayan in SNC Lavalin case - Apr 17, 2010
- CPI-M politburo begins two-day meeting - Jan 15, 2011
- Will Kerala government sanction Vijayan's prosecution? - May 04, 2009
- No problems in alliance, all united: UDF - May 01, 2012
- Faction feud dominated four years of Left rule in Kerala - May 18, 2010
- Kerala CPI-M in tight spot over murder probe - Sep 09, 2012
- CPI-M Kerala unit to meet to map its future - Feb 06, 2012
- CBI says Kerala government was partisan for Vijayan - Nov 10, 2010
- Out of politburo, Achuthanandan is miffed - Apr 09, 2012
- SNC Lavalin scam: Court refuses to include Antony as witness - Jan 04, 2010