Chappell to head Australian cricket’s centre of excellenceSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Sep 3 (IANS) Former Indian coach and one of Australia’s cricket greats, Greg Chappell, has been appointed as the head coach of the Cricket Australia Centre of Excellence (COE) in Brisbane.“I am looking forward to the challenge this position will offer in what is an exciting time, not just for Australian cricket but world cricket as a whole”, said Chappell, who captained Australia in 48 Tests.
Chappell was appointed as India coach in May 2005 and his controversial tenure ended in April 2007 following India’s disastrous exit from the World Cup.
“Through my experience not only as a player and captain but also as a selector, in administration, the media and my time in India, I hope to pass on some of my learnings as we strive for excellence in Australian cricket. I believe I have a lot to offer the younger players, especially in the mental area of the game from both a personal and coaching point of view,” the former Australian captain added.
The COE was established in Brisbane in 2004 replacing the Commonwealth Bank Cricket Academy that had been based in Adelaide for 15 years.
Over the years, many young and promising Indian players have trained at the centre.
“Greg brings to the role a great deal of experience as player, captain and coach. His recent coaching experiences in India add to the key lessons and insights he will offer Australia’s emerging talent,” said Cricket Australia Chief Executive Officer James Sutherland.
- CA appoint Greg Chappell as national talent manager - Aug 23, 2010
- Former rugby player named performance manager of Australian cricket - Oct 13, 2011
- Cricket Australia retains Nielsen as coach - Aug 24, 2010
- Law to be head coach at Australia's Centre of Excellence - Apr 17, 2012
- Oz cricket circles debating usefulness of Brisbane cricket academy - Feb 07, 2011
- Greg Chappell made Australia's first fulltime national selector - Aug 23, 2010
- Australia announce under-19 cricket squad for India tour - Aug 08, 2011
- Greg Chappell eyeing Cricket Australia's first 'fulltime selector' job - Aug 17, 2010
- South African Arthur appointed Australia's cricket coach - Nov 22, 2011
- Nielsen resigns as coach of Australian cricket team - Sep 20, 2011
- Chappell declines Pak coaching job - Feb 10, 2010
- Test cricket is pretty tough for India: Chappell - Mar 07, 2012
- Chappell ready to make big calls as Cricket Australia's first 'fulltime selector' - Aug 24, 2010
- Murali's Centre of Excellence stint would be a priceless for young Oz spinners: Healy - Feb 10, 2011
- PCB denies offering coach's offer to Chappell - Feb 10, 2010