Chaos marks run up to FIFA friendlyAugust 31st, 2011 - 12:34 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 30 (IANS) Even before the arrival of soccer magician Lionel Messi, there was utter chaos at the Salt Lake stadium Tuesday as the organisers of the Sep 2 Argentina-Venezuela FIFA Official International Friendly game failed to provide proper and correct information regarding the teams and their practice sessions.
Journalists were a harried lot as the organisers first announced that the Argentine team would have a largely closed door practice session with the non-rights holding media allowed in for only ten minutes.
However, the media was later informed that only the three goalkeepers would do some tune up, which only the accredited media could access.
However, the accreditation cards - due to be handed over to the media Tuesday evening - proved elusive.
Sources close to the organisers said the agency given the task of supplying the cards was under the “false impression” that those are needed only for the Sep 2 game.
It was later announced that the cards would be handed over Wednesday at the venue of the media conference whose timing was yet to be finalised till late Tuesday night.
Though the organisers sent out a media invite that the interaction would be at 12 noon Wednesday, an official of the promoters Celebrity Management Group said it could be deferred to 3.30 or even 4 p.m.
There was also almost no information about the practice timing of the Venezuela team.
“It seems only one team - Argentina - is playing in the Sep 2 game,” joked a journalist.
The only silver lining was that the journos were finally allowed in to watch the entire practice session of the three Argentine goalkeepers.
- Delirious Kolkata welcomes cheerful Messi - Sep 01, 2011
- Absent Messi hogs limelight at media meet - Aug 31, 2011
- Sourav invited for Messi match - Aug 28, 2011
- Nivia football to be used in Messi match, 42,000 tickets sold - Aug 28, 2011
- Messi and Co to stay put in Kolkata till Monday morning - Sep 03, 2011
- Higuain, di Maria reach Kolkata, countdown begins for Messi - Aug 31, 2011
- Argentinian stars have a long affair with Kolkata - Sep 01, 2011
- Light practice session for Messi and Co. - Sep 03, 2011
- A little Argentina in Kolkata - Aug 30, 2011
- World Cup campaign starts with Sep 2 match: Sabella - Aug 31, 2011
- Messi choreographs Argentina's 1-0 victory over gritty Venezuela (Lead) - Sep 03, 2011
- Messi says farewell to his Kolkata fans - Sep 04, 2011
- India to tap Argentina for technical assistance in football - Aug 11, 2011
- All set for Messi magic Friday - Sep 01, 2011
- Visa problem delays Argentine midfielder Sosa - Aug 30, 2011
Tags: accreditation, accredited media, celebrity management, false impression, finalised, goalkeepers, journalists, kolkata, lionel, magician, management group, organisers, practice session, practice sessions, promoters, silver lining, tuesday evening, tuesday night, tune up, utter chaos