Changes in IAF top brass in the offingJuly 22nd, 2011 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 22 (IANS) With Indian Air Force (IAF) chief Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik retiring this month-end, other changes are in the offing in the upper echelons with new heads of the eastern and southern commanders being named Friday.
Air Marshal S. Varthaman will move to Shillong as the new chief of the Eastern Air Command in charge of IAF operations in the eastern sector facing China, Myanmar, and Bangladesh. He was the senior air and staff officer (SASO) of the IAF’s Allahabad-based Central Air Command and his replacement will be Air Marshal P.S. Gill, the air officer commanding, Jammu and Kashmir.
Varthaman will be joined in Shillong by Air Marshal M. Matheswaran as his SASO. Matheswaran, an assistant chief of air staff at air headquarters here, will replace Air Marshal S.P. Singh, who will take over the Thiruvananthapuram-based Southern Air Command that is responsible for the security of peninsular India and most of the Indian Ocean region.
The government has already named the present IAF vice chief, Air Marshal N.A.K Browne, as the new air chief, while the Eastern Air Command head, Air Marshal K.K. Nowhar, has been named the new vice chief.
- Nohwar to be next IAF vice chief - Jun 24, 2011
- Navy, Army vice chiefs to get highest service medal - Jan 25, 2011
- Varthaman IAF's Eastern Air Command chief - Aug 01, 2011
- New IAF vice chief, Eastern air commander take charge - Aug 01, 2011
- No airspace violation in eastern India: IAF - Jul 27, 2011
- Air Marshal Vashisht becomes IAF maintenance chief - Oct 01, 2011
- Air Marshal Browne to be next Indian Air Force chief - May 20, 2011
- IAF to set up defence radar station in Mizoram - Dec 04, 2011
- Indian Army chief-designate conferred medal for distinguished service - Apr 17, 2012
- Air Marshal Browne is new IAF vice chief - Jan 01, 2011
- Better infrastructure in northeast to enhance capability: IAF chief - Dec 12, 2011
- Reactivated airfield in Arunachal strategic: IAF chief - Nov 18, 2011
- IAF going through dynamic changes: Air Chief - Nov 17, 2011
- Browne takes over as IAF chief - Jul 31, 2011
- Ace fighter pilot Browne is new IAF vice chief (Lead) - Jan 01, 2011
Tags: air chief marshal, air marshal, air staff, allahabad, assistant chief, eastern sector, iaf, indian air force, indian ocean region, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, myanmar, New Delhi, peninsular india, saso, shillong, staff officer, top brass, upper echelons, vice chief