Chandy demands new dam in place of MullaperiyarDecember 21st, 2011 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Dec 21 (IANS) Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy Wednesday said a new dam should be built in place of the more than century-old Mullaperiyar Dam, reiterating that Tamil Nadu’s interests will be protected.
“The present dam was built to last 50 years, but has survived double its lifespan. We have only one demand, that a new dam has to be built. We will honour all the agreements that are in place now with Tamil Nadu,” Chandy said while fielding questions at a specially called press conference.
State Water Resources Minister P.J. Joseph said in 2009 two reports from IIT Roorkie and IIT Delhi said the safety of the dam was a serious issue.
“A new dam is the only way out and the immediate need is to reduce the water level in the present dam from 136 feet to 120 feet,” said Joseph.
Kerala and Tamil Nadu have been at loggerheads over the dam, built under an 1886 accord between the then Maharaja of Travancore and the erstwhile British Raj. It is located in Kerala and its waters also serve Tamil Nadu.
Tamil Nadu wants the dam’s storage capacity to be increased by raising the dam height from 136 feet (41.5 metres) to 142 feet (43 metres) as the state’s irrigation needs have shot up.
Kerala is worried that a strong earthquake might damage the masonry dam and cause widespread destruction. It is seeking a new dam and has offered to fund and build it, but Tamil Nadu does not agree.
Experts say if a quake strikes and the dam is damaged, over four million people and their property in districts of Idukki, Kottayam, Alappuzha, Ernakulam and parts of Thrissur would be washed away.
- Kerala again speaks of new Mullaperiyar dam - Jan 03, 2012
- Talks likely with Tamil Nadu on Mullaperiyar: Chandy - Dec 03, 2011
- Kerala assembly restates stand on Mullaperiyar Dam - Dec 09, 2011
- New Mullaperiyar Dam will be a reality: Chandy - Jan 04, 2012
- CPI-M politburo resolution on dam faulty, says Achuthanandan - Dec 02, 2011
- Opposition will raise funds to build new dam: Achuthanandan - Nov 30, 2011
- Chandy slams Jayalalithaa's varying stands on public safety - Nov 30, 2011
- Mullaperiyar dam talks shift to Delhi - Dec 01, 2011
- Chandy hopes Mullaperiyar issue will be amicably resolved - Dec 12, 2011
- Kerala minister slams Jayalalithaa's appeal on Mullaperiyar - Dec 10, 2011
- Kerala, Tamil Nadu officials to discuss Mullaperiyar dam - Dec 05, 2011
- Clashes at Kerala-Tamil Nadu border post over Mullaperiyar - Dec 06, 2011
- PM calls for restraint on Mullaperiyar Dam issue - Dec 14, 2011
- Will lead all party delegation to PM on Mullaperiyar: Chandy - Dec 07, 2011
- Tremors, movie focus attention on controversial dam (Letter from Kerala) - Nov 27, 2011
Tags: british raj, chief minister, fielding questions, honour, iit delhi, iit roorkie, irrigation, kottayam, lifespan, loggerheads, masonry dam, mullaperiyar dam, new dam, quake strikes, state water resources, storage capacity, tamil nadu, thiruvananthapuram, travancore, water level