Chandy agrees to assembly footage scrutinyJuly 27th, 2011 - 7:16 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, July 27 (IANS) Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy Wednesday wrote to Leader of Opposition V.S. Achuthanandan for his cooperation to examine video footage of assembly proceedings following allegations of bogus voting July 20.
The Left opposition demanded an examination of the video footage, saying that it would reveal that the government managed to pass the Finance Bill through bogus voting.
The opposition alleged that the treasury benches did not have the required strength at the time of voting.
“Now that you have raised the demand for checking the video footage of the July 20 voting, we will now ask the speaker (G. Karthikeyan) for it and we want to get your cooperation also,” said Chandy in his letter to Achuthanandan.
In his letter, the chief minister also sent a list of the treasury bench legislators who voted in favour of the bill.
“I wish to know from you, since you have said in public that the bill was passed through bogus voting, which of these legislators did the bogus voting,” Chandy wrote.
In the 141-member house, the ruling alliance has 73 members (including the speaker). The Left opposition has 68 members. On the voting day, two treasury bench legislators and one opposition member were absent.
“Sixty-nine of us voted that day and please tell us who was the one who did the bogus voting. The allegation that there was bogus voting, that has been raised by you is a grave one and it is more serious than the ongoing probe into the cash-for-votes probe in Delhi,” said Chandy.
With the speaker attending the meeting in London, the video footage’s examination is expected to take place next week.
- Kerala opposition not to take part in video tape re-examination - Aug 10, 2011
- Kerala opposition demands emergency assembly session - Jul 20, 2011
- Two Kerala CPI-M legislators suspended amid bedlam - Oct 17, 2011
- Selvaraj, now of Congress, writes himself into a record - Jun 18, 2012
- Kerala's rival fronts trade charges over woman guard - Oct 15, 2011
- I will be an impartial speaker: Karthikeyan - Jun 22, 2011
- Kerala panel indicts Achuthanandan for favouring son - Mar 08, 2012
- Achuthanandan, Chandy spar over lottery scam - Dec 28, 2010
- Kerala panel to probe appointment of Achuthanandan's son - Jul 20, 2011
- Members almost come to blows in Kerala house - Jun 30, 2011
- Kerala opposition demands Chandy's resignation - Sep 26, 2011
- Denials, sobs over woman guard episode in Kerala assembly - Oct 14, 2011
- Lottery scam: Opposition drags in Achuthanandan's son - Feb 22, 2011
- Achuthanandan appears before panel over son's appointment - Feb 14, 2012
- G. Karthikeyan of Congress elected Kerala speaker (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: allegation, allegations, assembly proceedings, benches, chief minister, cooperation, favour, finance bill, leader of opposition, left opposition, legislators, london, opposition member, scrutiny, treasury bench, v s achuthanandan, video footage