Chandigarh to have week-long celebrations of Tourism DaySeptember 18th, 2010 - 6:33 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 18 (IANS) Chandigarh will celebrate World Tourism Day with a week-long programme from Sep 26 that will include theatre, food festivals, cycling events and a tourism walk, an official said Saturday.
World Tourism Day falls Sep 27. But the Chandigarh administration has decided to celebrate it from Sep 26 to Oct 1 and planned myriad of events to ensure participation of the city dwellers.
“There would be week-long celebration to highlight the importance of tourism. Celebrations will begin with a ‘cyclothon’, a cycling event, which will be organised under the aegis of the Cycling Federation of India,” Home Secretary Ram Niwas said here.
He said, cyclothon comprises different categories; elite ride, green ride and junior ride. There would be a 60-km national elite race and top cyclists of the country are expected to participate.
“We have planned many events throughout the week at prominent tourists’ destinations of this city to entertain both domestic and foreign tourists. There would be painting competition, “morning raga” - Indian classical and fusion music and fun programmes at Sukhna Lake and a tourism walk,” stated Niwas.
He added, “Many award-winning plays, starring acclaimed artists will be staged at the Tagore Theatre during the week. Tourism quiz will be organised for the city residents. The one-week celebrations will conclude with a live performance by Bollywood-fame singer Javed and a musical evening at Sector 17 on Oct 1.”
Competitions like singing, dancing, rock band live performances and other cultural evenings will be held at Sukhna Lake, which is the most sought after tourist destination here.
Besides, food festivals will be organised at various hotel and restaurants, which will start during the tourism week celebrations and continue till the end of Commonwealth Games.
- Chandigarh set to host India Cyclothon Sunday - Sep 25, 2010
- Chandigarh's first cycling event June 27 - Jun 08, 2010
- 6,000 cyclists pedal in Chandigarh - Sep 26, 2010
- Chandigarh all geared to celebrate World Tourism Day - Sep 26, 2009
- Chandigarh to spruce up Sukhna Lake to attract tourists - Jan 31, 2011
- Paes, Nicole Faria to ride in BSA Hercules India Cyclothon (With Images) - Apr 21, 2011
- 6,000 participate in BSA Hercules India Cyclothon (With Images) - Apr 24, 2011
- Harpreet Singh wins Elite Race at Hero Delhi Cyclothon - Oct 09, 2011
- Chandigarh's Sukhna Lake hits rock bottom (Letter from Chandigarh) (With Images) - Jun 11, 2012
- Chandigarh to have tourism police - Jun 29, 2010
- Chandigarh gets Rs.27 cr central assistance for tourism - Jan 10, 2010
- India Cyclothon to feature 120 cyclists - Jan 12, 2011
- Now Chandigarh to have a Garden of Palms - Feb 19, 2011
- Buses in Chandigarh to don new look - Apr 21, 2009
- Chandigarh on a high this World Cup - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: chandigarh administration, city dwellers, city residents, commonwealth games, cycling federation, elite race, fame singer, food festivals, fusion music, india home, javed, morning raga, musical evening, national elite, ram niwas, sector 17, sukhna lake, theatre food, tourists destinations, world tourism day