Chandigarh Rose Festival gets underwayFebruary 24th, 2012 - 11:10 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 24 (IANS) Chandigarh’s popular Rose Festival got underway Friday as hundreds of people, including the youth, flocked to the sprawling 30-acre Rose Garden to view the myriad variety of blooms on display and witness cultural events.
The festival attracted many residents of the city along with tourists, both Indian and foreign, on the first day itself.
Sandeep Kaur, a student who had come all the way from Nanital to visit the Rose Festival said: “I am enjoying the festival with the activities happening around here.”
Foreign visitors could be seen enjoying themselves too.
Hisashi and Yujishimamura, tourists from Japan said: “We have travelled to a lot of countries and places, but we have not seen such a vibrant festival anywhere. This is for the first time that we are visiting the Rose Festival and it is a Thumbs-Up!”
The festival has also become a treat for the elderly of the city. Some of them could be seen indulging in photography.
One of them, H.S. Kalra, a retired Reserve Bank of India employee who was visiting the festival with his wife said: “We have been visiting the festival since many years now. It has become an annual affair for us. This time, the fresh fruit and flower decorations are better than the last time.”
The three-day Rose festival, which will be on till Sunday (Feb 26), is being held amid tight security arrangements by the Chandigarh police. This is the 40th edition of the festival.
“Tight security arrangements have been made. Nearly 300 police personnel are on duty at the Rose festival,” station house officer Ranjot Singh said.
- Flower show lures tourists to Chandigarh - Feb 28, 2010
- Chandigarh's roses as beautiful as the city, gush foreigners - Feb 26, 2011
- Chandigarh is agog for rose festival - Feb 24, 2010
- Chandigarh to host Rose Festival - Feb 04, 2011
- At 40, Chandigarh's Rose Festival still in bloom (With Images) - Feb 22, 2012
- Roses and more at Chandigarh festival - Feb 25, 2011
- Agra despairs over Western advisory - Oct 26, 2011
- Kennedy, Elizabeth and Delhi Prince at Rose Festival! - Feb 17, 2011
- Chandigarh on a high this World Cup - Feb 20, 2011
- Thrissur Pooram festivities begin - May 01, 2012
- Kashmir reverberates with summer tourists (With images) - Jun 24, 2011
- Gujarat tourism achieving new milestones: Narendra Modi - Jan 11, 2011
- Chandigarh to get Garden of Springs - Feb 08, 2011
- Devotees celebrate 'Pooram' in Tripunithura - Dec 08, 2010
- Taj Festival ends with Bollywood dance performances - Mar 01, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,