Chandigarh gears up to secure heritage statusDecember 12th, 2008 - 3:09 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Dec 12 (IANS) Gearing up efforts to gain heritage status for India’s City Beautiful known internationally for its architecture and urban planning, the Chandigarh administration has sought funds from the central government to maintain important buildings. “We have written to the union government demanding an approval and release of funds that we need to maintain the heritage status. Right now I cannot disclose the amount we demanded. We are still awaiting its sanction,” director of tourism, Chandigarh, Samwartak Singh told IANS.
The administration sought funds to protect and preserve the important buildings in Chandigarh and secure nomination from the UNESCO team which is likely to visit the city soon.
“We have compiled a detailed report reinforcing our claim for the heritage status and submitted it to the director general of Archaeological Survey of India. However, the final authority lies with the UNESCO that is expected to announce its verdict in February 2009,” Singh said.
Also, officials have been appointed for keeping a close tab on the developments in this regard. They are visiting New Delhi regularly and seeking support from the central government.
“If Chandigarh gets the heritage status, then it will be a matter of pride for the whole country. We had talked to officials in Delhi and they assured us of all help in this direction,” he said.
He said: “The city is bestowed with beautiful sites. We have a beautiful lake, world-class Rose and Rock Gardens where tourists from all across the globe throng round the year. To top it all, the recently concluded Carnival 2008 has put us on the world map. To sum up, we have all the reasons to get the much-coveted status.”
- Venice wants gondolas to be given World Heritage status - Oct 13, 2010
- Punjab, Unesco to join hands for cultural preservation - Feb 26, 2011
- Chandigarh listing heritage to prevent smuggling - Jun 28, 2011
- Sidhy seeks heritage status for Amritsar - Dec 13, 2009
- Chandigarh wakes up to save lost heritage (With Images) - May 09, 2011
- Western Ghats being handed over to mining barons: Goa's green campaigner - Jul 05, 2012
- Shutdown in Bodh Gaya against anti-encroachment drive - Aug 08, 2011
- More foreign tourists flocking to Chandigarh - Feb 28, 2010
- 'NGOs getting foreign funds to work against Indian farmers' - Apr 18, 2011
- Islamists attack Timbuktu world heritage site - Jul 01, 2012
- Gogoi pushes for World Heritage tag for Assam river island - May 12, 2012
- Hong Kong seeks UN World Heritage status for geological site - Nov 04, 2009
- Indian student visa applications for Canada rising - Sep 26, 2010
- Goa's carnival festivities in limbo due to polls - Feb 09, 2012
- Unesco to help Italy preserve Pompeii - Dec 01, 2011