Chandigarh dedicates Lohri celebrations to girl childJanuary 12th, 2009 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 12 (IANS) Chandigarh dedicated the Lohri festival this year to the girl child as the city celebrated the day Monday with great enthusiasm and fanfare. Families who were blessed with their first girl child in 2008 and families having only daughters were honoured by the municipal corporation officials during the Lohri celebrations at the Terrace Garden in Sector 33.
“The status of women in Chandigarh is quite satisfactory. They are at par with men and rubbing shoulders with them in every field. We just wanted to reinforce this feeling of equality and, therefore, we dedicated this festival to the girl child,” Kamlesh Banarsi Das, mayor of Chandigarh, told IANS Monday.
“Female foeticide and declining sex ratio are the major concerns for us and we will initiate some mass movements and campaigns against these evils in the coming days,” said the mayor, who is widely known as Kamlesh.
Against the backdrop of Punjabi dhol beats and songs, Kamlesh lit the bonfire here Monday evening.
Hundreds of residents of the city participated in the celebrations. A cultural programme was organised and sweets were distributed.
This year the date of Lohri festival has fallen Jan 12 instead of its usual date of Jan 13. According to the astrologers, this happens after every four-five years.
Lohri is an agrarian festival and marks harvesting of the crop.
- Bonfires, celebrations mark Lohri across north India - Jan 14, 2012
- Haryana town dedicates Lohri to girl child - Jan 14, 2011
- Desi sweets on B-Town's mind for Lohri - Jan 13, 2012
- With bonfires and bonhomie, Delhi set to celebrate Lohri - Jan 13, 2011
- Feasting times: A hearty Punjabi spread this Lohri (With Recipes) - Jan 12, 2012
- Border Security Force celebrate Lohri - Jan 13, 2010
- Bollywood wishes Happy Lohri - Jan 13, 2011
- Delhi celebrates Lohri with bonfires and drumbeats (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Bollywood's very own Jats' 'Yamla Pagla Deewana' add to Lohri magic - Jan 14, 2011
- Lohri celebrated in Delhi with drum beats and bonfires - Jan 13, 2010
- Gul Panag to fight against female foeticide - May 13, 2010
- Lohri celebrated with fervour in Delhi - Jan 13, 2009
- Trees cut for Holi, green activists despair - Mar 07, 2012
- President, PM greet nation on 'Makar Sankranti', 'Pongal' (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Khushpreet murder case cracked, neighbours held - Mar 22, 2011