Chander Mohan sends fax from London after Fiza files complaint (Lead)February 21st, 2009 - 2:02 am ICT by IANS
Mohali (Punjab), Feb 21 (IANS) Former Haryana deputy chief minister Chander Mohan sent a fax from London to the Punjab police here Friday evening, seeking time to return and asking the police not to register a case against him after his second wife Fiza filed a complaint alleging that she had been raped, cheated and her religious sentiments hurt by him.
“We received a fax from London from Chander Mohan claiming that he was there for medical treatment and that he would return in April,” Mohali’s Superintendent of Police (city) Varinder Pal Singh told IANS.
In the fax, Mohan said he was a law-abiding citizen and had gone to London for medical treatment. He said that he had come to know that a complaint alleging rape and other charges had been filed against him. He sought more time from the police in this regard saying that he would give his side of the story after his return from London in April.
Mohan requested the police not to register any case against him.
The dramatic fax move follows after the Mohali police Friday recorded the statement of his ‘deserted’ wife Fiza alias Anuradha Bali. She had this week filed a complaint against Chander Mohan aka Chand Mohammed.
While Fiza, a former assistant advocate general in the Punjab and Haryana government, came with her lawyers and recorded her statement, Chand Mohammed, who too had been issued summons by the police, failed to turn up.
She said she had submitted evidence with the police against her elusive husband.
“We had sent our official to Chander Mohan’s residence in Panchkula Friday but he was told that Mohan is not at home. In such circumstances, we have to submit an ex parte report and will take the legal action accordingly,” Superintendent of Police city Varinder Pal Singh said.
“We have recorded the version of Anuradha Bali and based on the proof that she has given us, we will complete our investigations at the earliest,” said Singh.
Mohan and Bali embraced Islam and got married secretly in Uttar Pradesh’s Meerut city last November. The two changed their names to Chand Mohammed and Fiza respectively.
Chand Mohammed, who has been virtually underground for the last 25 days after he suddenly left Fiza’s house in Sector 48 of Mohali town, is the elder son of former Haryana chief minister Bhajan Lal. Fiza has expressed fears that he could have fled the country with his first wife and children.
Mohammed, a four-time Congress legislator from Kalka assembly seat in Haryana, did not attend the entire budget session of the Haryana assembly this month.
He lost his job as Haryana’s high-profile deputy chief minister December last year after he emerged from a more than 40-day hiding with a new name, religion and wife.
- Fiza cremated in Chandigarh - Aug 07, 2012
- Fiza Mohammed found (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- More cash, jewellery comes out of Fiza's lockers - Sep 13, 2012
- Fiza dies in mysterious circumstances (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Huge cash recovered from Fiza's house - Aug 09, 2012
- Fiza arrested on neighbour's complaint, gets bail (Lead) - Oct 17, 2010
- Police detain Fiza over neighbour's complaint - Oct 17, 2010
- Fiza Mohammed commits suicide - Aug 06, 2012
- Hooda's ministers not new to crime controversies (News Analysis) - Aug 06, 2012
- Fiza to campaign against former Haryana chief minister - Apr 21, 2009
- Chand Mohammed says 'talaq' to Fiza over phone - Mar 14, 2009
- I will ruin Chand's life, says angry Fiza - Jun 05, 2009
- Fiza approaches court for passport in new name - Jun 08, 2009
- Fiza appears before police, Chand Mohammed fails to turn up - Feb 20, 2009
- Chand Mohammed gives talaq to Fiza - Mar 14, 2009