Champions League: Dempo provisionally placed in Group BJanuary 7th, 2009 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Jan 7 (IANS) India’s I-League champions Dempo have been provisionally placed with Al Sharjah football club of United Arab Emirates (UAE) in Group B of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Champions League.The group stage draw took place here Wednesday in a newly-revamped format announced by the AFC in December. The tournament will feature 32 teams split into West Asia and East Asia/Asean groupings.
Groups A-D are made up by West and Central Asian sides while East and Asean teams are drawn together in groups E-H.
In the West Asia draw, Group A features Saudi Arabia’s Al Hilal, who were two-time winners, UAE President Cup’s holders Al Ahly, Uzbekistan League runners-up Pakhtakor and Iran’s Saba Battery.
Saudi Arabia’s Al Shabab will face Iran Pro League champs Persepolis, Qatar’s Al Gharafa and the winners of the West Asia qualifying play-off, UAE’s Al Sharjah or India’s Dempo in Group B.
The play-off match will take place Feb 25 at the Al Sharjah Stadium. Dempo, earlier made history by being the first Indian club to reach the semi-finals of the AFC Cup before they went down to Safa of Lebanon. The Goan side was denied an entry into the main tournament directly as the criteria set by the AFC wasn’t met by a couple of clubs in India.
Group C appears to be the ‘group of death’ as two-time Asian Champions Al Ittihad have been drawn with Qatar’s Umm Salal, UAE’s Al Jazira and Iran’s Hazfi Cup winners Esteghal.
In Group D, UAE League champions Al Shabab will face Iran’s Sepahan, Uzbekistan League champions Bunyodkor and Saudi Arabia’s Al Ettifaq.
The first round of matches will be played March 10 and 11.
Group A: Al Hilal (Saudi Arabia), Pakhtakor (Uzbekistan), Al Ahli (UAE), Saba Battery (Iran)
Group B: Persepolis (Iran), Shabab (Saudi Arabia), Al Gharafa (Qatar), Dempo (India)/ Sharjah (UAE)
Group C: Al Jazira (UAE), Esteghlal (Iran), Al Ittihad (Saudi Arabia), Umm Salal (Qatar)
Group D: Bunyodkor (Uzbekistan), Al Shabab (UAE), Foolad Sepahan (Iran), Ettifaq (Saudi Arabia)
Group E: Ulsan Hyundai (South Korea), Newcastle Jets (Australia), Beijing Guoan (China), Nagoya Grampus Eight (Japan)
Group F: Gamba Osaka (Japan), FC Seoul (South Korea), Sriwijaya (Indonesia), Shandong Luneng (China)
Group G: Shanghai Shenhua (China), Kashima Antlers (Japan), Suwon Samsung (South Korea), PSMS Medan (Indonesia)/Armed Forces (Singapore)/PEA (Thailand)
Group H: Central Coast Mariners (Australia), Tianjin Teda (China), Kawasaki Frontale (Japan), Pohang Steelers (South Korea)
- Crunch time for Asian Champions League hopefuls - Feb 17, 2012
- India clubbed with S. Korea, Australia in Asian Cup soccer - Apr 24, 2010
- South Korea beat India 4-1 in Asian Cup - Jan 18, 2011
- China, Saudi Arabia vow to enhance ties - Jan 16, 2012
- Iran to play UAE in football friendly - Apr 05, 2012
- Arab-Chinese business meet kicks off in Sharjah - Jan 19, 2012
- OPEC daily basket price hits $97.34 per barrel - Jun 13, 2012
- UAE president greets leaders on Eid - Aug 19, 2012
- UAE releases 100 bustards in Uzbekistan - Jun 13, 2011
- India looking to upset UAE in World Cup qualifiers - Jul 22, 2011
- Russia to discuss Syria with Iran - Jun 12, 2012
- Subrata Paul eyeing leagues in Japan and Saudi Arabia - Sep 01, 2009
- UAE's non-oil trade increases to AED 63 bn; India top trade partner - May 16, 2010
- Iran must participate in Syria Talks: Russia - Jun 23, 2012
- Eritrea tops list of 10 most censored nations - May 04, 2012